SURPRISE!!

A few days later, I woke up for work. I did my usual routine but took a few minutes to message Chris to let him know that I had been looking at hotels for us when we were in New York and to see if he had looked at any as well. We had been speaking about all things New York since Tuesday and we were both super excited. We had a list of places we wanted to check out while we were there, so we had plenty to do.

I checked the weather in New York to see what kind of things I could wear while we were there. It was going to be sunny, so it was the usual dresses, skirts, and other loose-fitting clothes to keep cool. Chris had advised me to pack a nice formal outfit so we could get dressed up properly for dinner one night.

I messaged Jess and Sarah to meet up on Saturday for dinner and drinks. I was excited about this too. I really just needed that girl time before I went away on what I had just realised was my first trip without them. All my holidays always included them, or it was our full friend group, which included Chris, Joe, and Matt as well.

Work had been so easy and carefree since I had handed in my resignation and everyone had found out. There was the occasional 'I don't want you to leave. Who am I going to chat with about my stupid drunk antics every Monday' or the 'Who's going to look over my power point presentations to make sure I have not fucked them up?' I felt so loved and I had only been here for just over a year.

Saturday had rolled around and I was in my room planning what to wear before I hopped in the shower to freshen up. I chose a strappy red dress and red heels that matched perfectly and paired it with a black clutch and gold jewellery. I was waiting for the cab to pick me up when I realised I hadn't heard from my dad all day. He had left first thing this morning and still wasn't back. It was nearly 6pm. I heard my cab outside, so I walked out and hopped in. I quickly texted him to let him know I had left to meet the girls, so he knew where I was and wouldn't worry.

I arrived at The Olde Pink House and went in and got seated at our table and ordered a drink while I waited for the girls who had arrived a few minutes later. When the waiter came back, we ordered our food and the girls ordered drinks too. We spoke about everything that had happened since they got back and what was happening now with work and going to New York and everything that was going on with them too. We finished dinner and drinks and decided to head to Wet Willies for more drinks. I had decided this was my new favourite place after spending the evening here with Chris and Joe on Monday.

My dad called me a few hours later and advised that he was on his way home, and asked if I wanted to be picked up on his way back, which I agreed to, as the girls had just booked a cab to go home and I was about to do too. Roughly 5 minutes later, my dad pulled up outside and so did the cabs for the girls. We hugged each other and headed home.

Once home and changed for bed, I sat with my dad, who told me about what he had actually been up to all day. He had shown me a shit ton of pictures of a 2006 Selene 57 that he had had his eyes on for a few months, but until now had never had the money to buy, so he told me today he had viewed it and had bought it after having a meeting with one of his friends who worked as a financial advisor. He had put in an offer to buy it, which had been accepted, and he was so proud of knowing he could just disappear for a few days on the boat and just 'be at one with the ocean'. His words, not mine.

It was my last day at work and I knew I was leaving on Friday to head to New York. It was 12pm, so I headed towards our little kitchen area and grabbed my lunch and went to go into our lunch room when "SURPRISE!!" I was yelled at by everyone in the office and I could feel the tears building in my eyes. "I was going to ask you all out when we finished for a leaving drink, but not now." I laughed, trying to hide the tears that had been forming. Everyone started to come over and hug me and directed me over to the long table that was placed against the wall that had the most amazing display of food on it with a 'WE WILL MISS YOU' banner above it. We spent the lunch hour talking about my time at the business and what I was going to be doing once I left, so I filled them all in on what I wanted to do. The rest of the day was full of laughter and happy memories that I will cherish forever. The people in this office are amazing and I knew I'd miss them all. When 5pm rolled around, I had all my stuff packed up in a large box with all the good luck cards and goodbye gifts I had gotten from everyone. They told me explicitly to open them at home as they didn't want to see me crying again. I put my stuff in my car and told everyone I would see them at the restaurant, as this was what I had planned for everyone to say a proper goodbye, as I knew no one had plans for this evening. We all met at Crystal Beer Parlour for a few hours. We had food and those who could had a drink too. As goodbyes go, this was the best one I could hope for.

I got home that evening and opened my gifts and cried a little here and there with the thought that was put into them. One was a photo album with pictures of us as a group and some pictures of me with one or two people. Then there were pictures of inspiring quotes that I just loved. My favourite quotes were' IN THE END, WE ONLY REGRET THE CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE ' and then a quote from one of my all-time favourite tear jerkers, Safe Haven, with my name in it. 'PROMISE ME SOMETHING ABIGAIL THAT YOU'LL TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES. YOU'LL ONLY REGRET THE ONES YOU DIDN'T TAKE' That was the sweetest thing I have ever seen. I had to take a picture of it with my phone so I could always see it and use it as a mantra for the rest of my life.