04. 𝗙𝗥𝗜𝗘𝗡𝗗

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 04. 𝗙𝗥𝗜𝗘𝗡𝗗 𝗢𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗘?

𝗠𝗜𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗘𝗟'𝗦 𝗛𝗘𝗔𝗗 𝗥𝗘𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗗 in Helen’s lap. She caressed his head, running her hand through his hair. He slept soundly, chest rising and falling steadily. Bandages wrapped snugly around his throat, poking out from under the collar of his shirt. 

“So...he’s going to be okay?” Harry asked, making you turn your gaze away from the room.

“Yeah. After some rest and his flushes his system out, he’ll be fine,” You said, arms crossed over your chest. “He wasn’t infected.”

“That’s such a relief,” He breathed. “I don’t even know how Michael would react to something like that happening to him.”

“Probably not well,” You said, rubbing the back of your neck. “It’s a hard thing to adjust to, that’s for sure.”

“How are you doing?” He asked, motioning for you to follow him down the hall. He opened the door to his old bedroom, inviting you inside. 

“I’m managing,” You replied. 

“I’m sorry,” He sighed. “This must be scary, even for you.”

“Me, scared? Ha!” You laughed. 

“It’s alright, Y/n,” He said softly. “You don’t always have to act so tough. I know this scares you.”

Your shoulders dropped. You sighed softly, leaning against the window sill. “I-It does…”

“Y/n, were you ever in love with Elijah?” Harry asked suddenly. 

“No,” You said. “Eli loved me, but...I couldn’t return his feelings. And he knew that.”

“Did you love Dio?” He asked. 

“You remember him?” You scoffed. 

“How couldn’t I?” He said. “He was the only man that you’ve ever brought to us. You...seemed at ease with him. It was something none of us have ever seen. We all thought that maybe you'd actually fallen in love."

You laughed, though it was more of a scoff. You looked away, turning your gaze out of the window. Harry shifted, moving to lean against the wall beside you.

"You did, didn't you? It's why you did what you did. You stayed by his side, even though it got you killed. You loved Dio?" He asked softly.

You closed your eyes. Exhaling softly, Harry looked over at you.

"I can't answer you truthfully, because I don't know," You said after a moment. "My feelings towards Dio were...conflicting. At times, I wanted to kill him. But other times, I couldn't even stand to think about something happening to him."

"You relied on him," Harry said. "You smiled when you were around him."

"Dio...Dio made me feel something I never felt before," You admitted. "Though, I'll never call it love."

Harry didn't say anything after that. The room was filled with silence.

"Where will you go now?" He asked.

"America, probably," You replied. "Jonathan has a grandson who lives there."

"Will you promise me something?" Harry asked, looking over at you.