35. 𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗗 𝗦𝗢𝗨𝗟

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 35. 𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗛𝗔𝗩𝗘 𝗔 𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗗 𝗦𝗢𝗨𝗟.

𝗗𝗜𝗢'𝗦 𝗖𝗛𝗘𝗦𝗧 tightened at the sound of your pained cries. They were not soft whimpers or groans; they were something much worse. Your shrieks bounced off of every wall in the empty manor, haunting his mind. You were writhing on the bed, too weak even to push the hands that tried to help you. Blood cascaded down your face, clumping your lashes together as it seemed to steadily pour from your eyes.

He's seen you shed tears once when you believed that you'd never see him again. But even then, it was nothing like he saw you now. Your chest rippled with sobs, your cries broken and full of a pain he could never imagine. Every inch of your body seemed to be covered in burns even when Echo removed your clothing to see where you needed to be treated.

"I know, Y/n!" Echo's voice was strained, their hand soothing over your hair. "I know, darling, I know it hurts, but you have to let us help you!"

You couldn't even form words. You screwed your eyes shut, your head turning into the pillow as you sobbed harder. The pain was killing you. He could see it. Your healing was not working. He knew you hadn't been feeding yourself. You'd starved yourself because of him.

"Dio!" Echo shouted, regaining his attention. Their eyes were pleading as they looked toward him. "What do I do?"

Dio slowly began to walk to the bed. Echo rose and moved away, allowing him to take their place. Rather than sitting on the as they had, he knelt beside it. His hand reached for your face, his knuckles brushing along the uninjured skin. Slowly, your eyes opened. E/c irises looked back at him. Your eyebrows were laced together, your lips trembling, your entire body seeming to shake uncontrollably.

"I know," He began, his voice trembling ever so slightly. "I made that promise to you."

He caressed your face before moving toward your hair, pulling the strands away from your face. You leaned into his touch, closing your eyes as you whimpered softly. His hands trembled.

"You need human blood," He spoke softly. "I promised you I'd never make you do it again, but there is no other choice, my love. Please. Trust me. I cannot stand to see you in so much pain."

"O-Okay," You whispered, your voice wavering. Dio's head lifted to Echo and Buck, who both stood at the foot of the bed.

"You don't even have to ask," Echo said.

"We'll retrieve it," Buck nodded, both of the images flashing away in an instant.

"Come," Dio whispered to you, carefully lifting you in his arms. You grabbed his chest, your nails piercing into his skin. "I know, darling. I know."

He carried you into the adjacent bathroom, carefully placing you into the lukewarm water that had been prepared in the tub. He watched as your face contorted, your back arching as it touched the water before you slowly began to relax. Your face fell slack, your eyebrows lifting in relief. He sat beside the tub, his knuckles brushing along your cheek.

"There you go, sweetheart. Does it make it better?" He asked gently. You nodded as he wiped the blood from your face.

"He...wrote me a letter," You said, your voice just barely above a whisper. "Jonathan did. The things he said...I couldn't hate him, Dio. Not then. Not now."

Your eyes fluttered open, your head turning to the side to meet his amber gaze. He saw your lips moving, but no sounds came out. You were struggling to find your words. He allowed you to take your time, his gentle touch seeming to ease your pain.

"I thought I owed him something," You said. "I thought that because he was going to help me, I needed to help him. But he isn't here. So I wanted to help his grandson."

Your eyebrows laced together. Dio frowned softly as the blood began to pool in the corner of your eyes once more.

"Why?" You whispered brokenly. "I-I had no intentions of harming any of them, Dio. I wanted to help Jonathan again. W-What have I done to receive such treatment?"

"You did no wrong," He stated. "It was the Joestars. Jonathan had a pure soul. But after him, that bloodline was corrupted. His offspring are nothing like he was. None of them hold the good nature that he did. You did not deserve this, Y/n. Nothing you have ever endured."

"I'm sorry," You whispered. "I should have listened to you."

"No," He cradled your face in his hand. "You are your own person. You believe in what you do, and I believe in what I do. I cannot change your mind on what you believe. I have learned that. But what they did to you...I will be sure to make them regret even confronting you and questioning your kind actions."

Your eyes closed as you leaned into his touch. He stroked your cheek with his thumb, watching as your body began to relax.

"You have a kind soul, whether you agree with me or not. I have known it since the day I saw you. You tried to hide it in fear of getting hurt, and I could see that. I wanted to protect you. I wanted to protect that kind soul of yours. It hurts me to know that each time you show your true nature, you always get hurt. But I promise you..." He leaned forward, resting his forehead against yours. "...I will never let another being on this Earth hurt you."

"Atticus," You whispered. "Protect him, Dio. Echo and Buck as well. Do not let any harm come to them."

His lips pressed against your cheek. "You have my word."

"Don't leave my side," Your fingers brushed along his face as you met his gaze. "I don't ever wish to be alone again. You are the only person I have ever loved. I can not imagine a life without you."

"I won't go anywhere," His eyes closed as he smiled, leaning into your touch. "Even if I have to destroy everyone in this world, you and I will never be apart again."

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 35. 𝗘𝗡𝗗
𝗗𝗔𝗧𝗘: 6 𝗦𝗘𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗠𝗕𝗘𝗥 2024
𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗧𝗘𝗗