26. 𝗦𝗖𝗔𝗥𝗦

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 26. 𝗜𝗧'𝗦 𝗔𝗟𝗟 𝗝𝗨𝗦𝗧 𝗦𝗖𝗔𝗥𝗦 𝗡𝗢𝗪

𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗪𝗔𝗡𝗗𝗘𝗥𝗘𝗗 along the halls, familiarizing yourself with the layout of the mansion. All of the windows had been boarded up and sealed so that no light could slip into the building. You were lucky; had you not been accustomed to being in the dark for so long, you would have never ventured away from the place you were used to. You had a feeling that Dio had made it this way so that his...meals...couldn't escape from him.

The presence of the other vampires lingered in the air, stronger in some spots and weaker in others. You weren't stupid—you could see them hiding, peering around broken pieces of furniture or beams, their gazes locked on you as you passed. Some of them would stop in their tracks when they saw you, either lowering their head to you as they passed or just altogether turning and going in the opposite direction. Anything to avoid you.

Dio was missing from your side this evening when you'd awoken, and you couldn't sense his presence anywhere in the mansion, so you figured him to be out hunting or torturing some innocent people.

You felt a presence appear behind you so you paused and turned halfway. Your gaze fell onto the man you'd seen when you first entered the mansion. His wrist was in a splint, and the holster that his gun resided in had been switched to his left side instead. A cigarette was dangling from his lips, and he glared at you from under the brim of his hat. A scoff passed over his lips.

"Just who the hell are you?" He questioned. "You seem to be a favorite out of Dio's whores."

Another man walked up behind him. He had dark auburn hair that brushed over his shoulders and cold brown eyes. The blonde man turned to look over his shoulder, a frown appearing on his lips.

"Hol Horse, do you even know who you're speaking to?" The second man asked.

Hol Horse glanced from his friend back to you. He quirked a brow and took the cigarette from his mouth.

"The little fucking bitch who broke my damn wrist and got away with it?" He scoffed. "I'm gonna get this asshole back."

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

You felt Dio's presence appear behind you, making your shoulders relax from their tense position. He slid his hand around you, resting his hand over your stomach, pulling your back to his chest.

"L-Lord Dio," Hol Horse stammered, his eyes widening.

"Hol Horse," Dio hummed, lowering his head to my neck, pressing his lips over the mark he'd left there the night before. Dio's hands slid to your waist, dropping down to your thighs before returning to rest on your hips. "I've discussed who Vex is before. The simple fact that you would even have the audacity to speak to them in such a manner..."

Dio didn't need to finish his sentence. I could see the fear and nervousness that overtook Hol Horse, making him swallow hard. His cigarette dropped onto the floor and he blinked before reaching down to get it.

Before he could, however, Dio had moved around me and placed his foot over Hol Horse's hand. He crouched to his eye level, amber eyes hooded in a harsh glare. Hol Horse trembled in fear, his lips parting slightly.

"Let this be your one and only warning. I should kill you here, but you're actually of use to me. But if this repeats, then you'll just be like the others. I will not hesitate to kill you. Is this understood, Hol Horse?"

"Y-Y-Yes, Lord D-Dio!" He exclaimed, his voice quivering.

Dio rose back to his feet and turned away, motioning for you to follow him. He rested his hand on the small of your back, his demeanor changing.