28. 𝗨𝗡𝗙𝗔𝗜𝗧𝗛𝗙𝗨𝗟

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 28. 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗦 𝗜𝗦𝗡'𝗧 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗢𝗡𝗟𝗬 𝗧𝗜𝗠𝗘 𝗛𝗘'𝗦 𝗕𝗘𝗘𝗡 𝗨𝗡𝗙𝗔𝗜𝗧𝗛𝗙𝗨𝗟

"𝗪𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗜𝗡 the hell are you doin' here?" You asked, grabbing their arm as you helped them back onto their feet. You paused when you heard them hiss in pain.

You grabbed the hood that covered Echo's face and pulled it down, exposing the burns that lined the right side of their face, stretching from their hairline all the way under their chin, stopping just before it got to their shoulders. It didn't look fresh, but it didn't look old either. It had happened recently.

"Bloody hell, mate," You whispered. "What's happened to you?"

"Too much for me to stand here and explain," They replied, their voice sounding strained. "If you come with me, I'll explain anything. But being out here in the open like this isn't safe—for either of us."

You hesitated, your gaze flashing across them. They looked at you pleadingly, making you sigh and nod your head in agreement. Echo brushed past you and turned the corner quickly. You glanced around you before following after them.

You continued this for a couple more blocks before stopping at a home at the end of the street, hidden by the taller buildings surrounding it. They paused, looking around the surroundings before shoving the door open. You followed them inside, turning to watch them shut the door and latch the many locks. Your lips pulled into a frown.

Echo sighed as they unclasped the cloak and let it fall to the floor. They walked over to the couch and collapsed onto the seat. They slouched forward, draping their arms between their legs.

"He killed everyone, Vex."

Your frown deepened. "What are you talking about?"

"A few months ago," They said quietly, lifting their head. Now, you could see the milky white film covering Echo's right eye. "Our affiliation got ambushed in the middle of the day. There was nowhere for anyone to run to. Those who could fight did, and others tried to escort the ones who couldn't out. But we were severely outnumbered. Everyone died, Vex. Everyone except me and Buck."

Your eyes scanned over their face. "The twins?"

"Beheaded. Quinn, then Wynona. They were protecting the young. They didn't stand a chance."

Echo's words processed in your mind. The entire affiliation had been murdered? But why? For what reason?

"Who did this?" You asked.

Echo flicked their eyes up, meeting your gaze. "Dio."

Your body tensed up, your eyebrows lacing together. "...what..?"

"Dio has been sending people after me for four years. Each time, I've managed to escape him or defeat the creatures he's sent after me. But this time, he sent everything he could, and he caught us off guard. He ambushed the complex and killed everyone to send a message to me. And when he figured out I wasn't dead...he decided to come after me himself," They answered.

"Why?" Your voice raised slightly. "Why the fuck is Dio after you, Echo?"

"I have something he wants," Was the only response you received. They rose from the couch and began to walk down the hall. You took off after them. You grabbed their shoulder and pinned them against the wall, your eyes narrowing.