09

tw: blood

"Please take anything that interests you or the lady free of charge, your highness." The elderly lady told us, smiling kindly. She gestured towards the jewelry precisely laid out on her cart, glinting in the torchlight.

Jungwon smiled, eyes scanning the jewelry. "Thank you for your hospitality, but there is no need to be that kind."

He turned to me when I happened to be stupidly staring at a pair of earrings that caught my attention. They were sapphire earrings, not too large but would still be quite visible if someone wore it. I had been trying to figure out what the words engraved on it said, as it wasn't written in a language that I recognized. Still, it was undeniably beautiful. Jungwon gently touched it, getting a better view of it.

"Estonizia." He read. "It means a hidden fire."

Jungwon looked back up at the vendor, handing the pair to her. "I'd like to purchase this, please."

I gaped at him, not expecting him to purchase it so suddenly. The elderly lady smiled, carefully packaging it up in a creme colored tissue paper and placing it in a small box. "This would look stunning on the beautiful lady." She gushed.

I blushed, quickly thanking her. Jungwon took the bag from the vendor's outstretched hands and we continued on our way down the street.

So far, we had stopped at every vendor's cart. Jungwon had made sure not to miss even one cart. He had purchased something from each of them, too, no matter the price. Everyone had fawned over him, throwing us compliments along the way.

"What an amazing pair you guys are!"

"Beauty lies in both partners!"

"I'm not quite sure who I'd rather be, the lady or his majesty."

Now, we had gone through all of the carts selling items down the street. The guards had their hands full of items we had purchased. We were now starting to enter the food part of the street, evident by the smell of pastries and goods wafting in the air.

Jungwon led us towards a vendor with tables layed out next to the cart, so I assumed it was a type of eating area. Seeing us approaching them, the vendor couple immediately straightened up in attention.

"Your highness!" The man chirped, lighting up at the sight of us. "Did you come for the usual today?"

Jungwon nodded in excitement. He turned around, eyes flying to each of the guards and counting them.

"Actually, I'll need twelve servings of them today, Seungsik. I brought eleven extra people with me." Jungwon laughed, winking at the guards. The vendors laughed too, already starting to prepare the food.

Jungwon turned to the guards. "Everyone, please take a seat. This will be our last stop so I'd like to treat everyone before we head back to the castle."

The guards smiled at him hearing those words, everyone of them of different age groups. They quickly bowed to him and thanked him before sitting down at two of the tables, leaving one for Jungwon and I.

As we took our seats, the woman quickly laid down two drinks in front of us. She left just as quickly as she came in experience, moving on to the next two tables. Jungwon looked around in fondness at the canopy above us.

"So, I take it you come here often?" I asked him, watching him take a sip of his drink.

He nodded. "Yeah, I come here anytime I have some free time. It's like a place where I can escape to. I usually come under disguise and without my guards, though, so that's why the other vendors looked so surprised to see me here."