2.33

Silence. I hated this silence. The silence where everyone in the room just stood in disbelief, not wanting to admit that their ruler had been assassinated.

And oh, how my heart ached for my prince in front of me. I could tell by the slight furrow of his brows and his tense expression just how stressed and upset he was. So much had happened in such a short time, and now he was responsible of cleaning it all up whilst battling his own inner thoughts.

After all, his only father had just gotten murdered. Sure, perhaps the King had rarely treated Jungwon with love, but he was still his father.

Just as I was about to reach a hand out to touch his arm, a guard gently pushed past the crowd and stopped in front of Jungwon, bowing.

"Your highness." The masked guard said, voice gruff. "The Royal Sentinels and I have concluded our search through the palace and can confirm that the assassinators have all left through some type of escape route. We suspect that they were able to infiltrate our system through some of our own employees."

Jungwon blinked. The Queen stepped forward, an infuriated expression on her face. "Are you telling us that there are rats in our own system?" She scoffed. "You dare insult us even at this moment?"

Jungwon sighed, bringing a hand up to massage his forehead. "Just let me take care of this, okay?" He let out, directing his gaze to the Queen.

She huffed, offended. "You insolent little-"

"Everyone may return to their rooms at the palace, and those that have been shaken up by the events today my retire to their homes. I bid you all a good night." He cut her off, leaving her mouth agape and noises coming out of her mouth in shock.

"You!" She angrily said, shaking her fist at him and walking dangerously close to him as the rest filed out of the room with glances thrown our way. "You have no right to speak to your Queen in this tone."

Jungwon only coldly stared down at her, which emphasized their great height difference. And i thought I was short. Huh.

"According to the Yang Kingdom constitution- signed by the first King of the Yang Kingdom; King Haemin himself- should the King pass before an heir is crowned, the firstborn prince automatically assumes the late King's activities and holds power equivalent to that of the King's." He recited, never breaking eye contact with her. 

She gulped back at him. "Yes, but-"

His eyes hardened, an expression that even slightly terrified me pasted on his face. "There are no buts. This is the law of the land. You dare talk back to a direct descendent of his majesty, the King?"

The Queen had nothing to say to this, so Jungwon gave a satisfied nod and turned back to the rest of the crowd- who, might I mention, was looking back at him with a petrified expression. He threw a strained smile at them. "You are all dismissed. You may exit."

If the air in the basement was heavy and awkward, it was nothing compared to the atmosphere of Jungwon, Geonu, and I in the elevator. We were heading towards Jungwon and I's chambers, Geonu staying with us both as my guard and Jungwon's consultant. They were murmuring to themselves when it was not awkwardly silent, but it was never something I could make out nor understand.

I cleared my throat, making the two men's eyes dart at me. I was inexpertly standing at the corner across from them, not sure where to put my hands and settling for crossing them behind me. "The elevator door is open." I said quietly.

Jungwon blankly glanced at the doors, that were indeed open and still waiting for the three of us to exit, an unfocused gaze on his face. "Ah, it appears you are correct."