2.41

a/n: thank you for 1K votes :) <3
"Yumin." Yunseo called out, flashing me her signature grin and holding her arms out. I almost sobbed at the sight, realizing just how much I had missed my best friend and practically sister.

The second I crashed into her and let her warmth engulf me, it felt as if all of my worries vanished. As cliche as it sounded, Yunseo really did feel like my home. There was just something about her voice and her actions that were so calming.

It was then that I felt the tears start streaming down my face. "Yunseo..."

I felt her smile above me, gently rubbing my hair. I noted how she was still a few inches taller than me, a detail that pained me to realize that I had forgotten. "Happy birthday, Min-Min."

Hearing the familiar nickname did not do my sobs any good.

I was reconnected with my first home.

"I'm so glad you're safe." She whispered, continuing to stroke my head tenderly. "God, I don't know what I would've done if something had happened to you."

I glanced up through my tears to see tears of her own pooling in Yunseo's eyes. Yunseo was an incredibly strong, down to earth girl. If someone as incredible as her was crying, she definitely had gone through a lot.

"I missed you." I choked out, pressing my face into the palace uniform she was wearing.

Again, a soft smile appeared on Yunseo's lips. "Not nearly as much as I missed you."

I released her and stepped back. "But, how are you alive?"

Yunseo only smiled and looked at the sky, her eyes twinkling. Her hair was longer than I remembered, but still as beautiful as it was when we were at the orphanage. She looked the same, yet different at the same time.

"It's true, I was minutes away from dying back in the tunnel." She admitted. "But ultimately I was saved in the end by a group of people- humans. I'm not sure how long it took for them to save me, though, because I was just barely conscious at that point. But I do know the person who called for the group to come."

Before she could say who, Yunseo's eyes shifted to an area a few feet behind us, making me turn and see what it was she was staring at.

It was Jungwon. He was turned away from us in order to give us out privacy and attempting to look anywhere but us to pretend he wasn't eavesdropping. Once noticing how quiet it became, he glanced at us to find both of us staring at him.

"Ah..." He said, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. "Nice to finally meet you, uh... noona?"

"Likewise, prince." She called out, inclining her head forward slightly in greeting.

I shifted their attention back to the conversation, motioning with my hand for Jungwon to join us. The boy obliged without a word, coming to stand by my side like a lost puppy. "Who was the person?"

Yunseo took a deep breath in. "In the tunnel, I met a women. She was dressed in a black cloak- one that almost entirely hid her face, but I was able able to make out one detail: her grey eyes."

"Cataracts?" Jungwon piped next to me.

I saw a corner of Yunseo's mouth pipe up in disbelief. "No, like literal grey eyes."

"Ohhh gotcha."

"She bent down to me and asked," and Yunseo leaned in close to Jungwon and I, voice dropping down to a bone-chilling whisper. "'I can predict your future. Want to make a deal?'"

Yunseo continued. "Of course, I was desperate at that point and agreed to anything she said. I immediately told her that I did, and she told me two things. She said that if I desperately held on to life for just a few minutes, help would arrive and fate would delay my death for many years. For this information, I had to give her my memories of a person I loved dearly."

She tapped my cheek upon seeing my bewildered expression. "Don't worry, it wasn't you. I decided to trade in my memories of the nurse that took care of me when I was younger."

"What was the other thing she told you?" I asked, heavily invested in hearing her story. Yunseo blinked slowly but never took her eyes off of me as she said the next words.

"'The world can only thrive when a pureblood vampire no longer exists'."

Jungwon suddenly straightened, grabbing onto my arm and pulling me behind him. I looked in alarm at him due to the sudden change in his behavior, taking note of the way his eyes were darting around at an area behind Yunseo. "Jungwon?"

"You." Jungwon hissed at Yunseo, squinting his eyes at her in distrust while slowly backing the two of us away. He had his fangs bared, to which she barely even flinched. "You're not the only one here, are you?"

Yunseo smiled at his words. "You're quicker than I thought, prince."

And it was then that numerous figures appeared behind her, each carrying weapons.