15

"Yes, I do." 

"My parents will be here." Jungwon said quietly as we descended down the stairs leading to the ball. I could already hear the light tinkling of music. 

The stairs underneath us were made out of glass, stained a green color, just like the rest of the palace was. Even a commoner would be able to tell what the Sim color was. The palace made me feel like I was inside a liquor bottle that the chefs in the orphanage frequently carried. 

"Is there anything particular you wish for me to say to them?" I asked, wrapping my hand around his arm more securely and walking closer to him as I could feel the jab of cold eyes following us as we glided down the stairs. "It would've been nice to notify me before the party." 

Jungwon blinked. "Is it truly my fault that when Jake said 'important government figures', you just assumed that my parents were not included?" 

I shrugged, eyes looking away in embarrassment. Of course, he was right. Like he always was. However, that didn't mean I needed to admit it. 

As we stepped off of the stair and onto the glass ballroom floor - my ankles almost giving out from these god forsaken heels - a servant immediately greeted us, offering two of the many glasses of blood balanced on the metal platter in his other hand. 

Jungwon took both of the glasses, giving the servant a polite smile before leading us elsewhere. Around us, there were vampires of all shapes and sizes. Vampires with long, impossibly silky hair pampered in fragranced oils; others with looming heights that made the servants look short. The one thing that was similar about all of them, including the boy next to me, was their aura. The powerful, regal aura that every one of them emitted. Some of them turned towards us as we walked past, throwing us pointed smiles in an attempt to look welcoming.

They were powerful, and they knew it. 

Before long, we were standing outside on a balcony. My skin welcomed the cool, damp temperature of the night air. 

Jungwon let go of my hand, turning to me with urgent eyes. I quickly glanced at myself, confused as to why he was giving me such a look. 

"Is there something wrong?" I asked, fully expecting an insult to be thrown at me. 

"Stand still real quick." He whispered, tugging me in front of him. I stumbled towards him, caught off guard. Noticing his mistake, he put one hand on me before I could tumble off of the balcony and end the farm rescue mission. 

After making sure his mistress would not fall to her death and was adequately covering the other vampires' views from him, he dumped the content of the two glasses into the poor plants next to him with a flick of his wrist. 

I tilted my head, awkwardly glancing around to check if anyone had seen what I just saw. 

When Jungwon met my gaze again, he gave me a sheepish smiled, empty glasses in hand. "Sorry," he whispered. "It was human blood, and I'm pretty sure neither of us would want to drink it. In this world, it's considered rude and a great offense to not take human blood offered to you at a party." 

I cringed the second the words came out of his mouth, eyes trailing towards the crimson stains that now covered the soil of the plants.  

Before I could comment on the drinks, I was cut off by a change in music. Jungwon and I turned back to the doors, curiously looking for the reason the music had stopped and changed. 

Inside, the lights had dimmed slightly and the crowd had separated into pairs. Partners twirled in each others' arms in a beautiful dance. Again, my breath was caught by the sheer beauty of the vampires. My eyes stuck on each of the princes, who were also dancing with their respective partners. It was shocking to see how fast they had switched personalities, from the teasing boys to regal princes.