11

Narrator's POV

Jungwon silently strode down the palace hallway towards the infirmary. Although his steps were silent, his mind was anything but. 

- flashback -

"First, tell me your name." Jungwon patiently said, polishing his watch with a cloth, eyes focused on the device rather than the man. 

"My name is Enzo." The man said, still trying to catch his breath and take his mind off of the excrutiating pain from his side. 

"Enzo." Jungwon repeated. "You're a foreigner, yes?" 

The man nodded, sweat gleaming on his face. "Yes. They wanted to find someone who didn't have an I.D. from here and who wouldn't get recognized if caught." 

Jungwon nodded. It certainly worked. He thought back to how his guards had come back with the news earlier that they were not able to recognize Enzo's face nor his fingerprint through the database for the Yang Kingdom. 

"Tell me who hired you." 

Enzo sighed. "The Queen." 

Jungwon pursed his lips. 

"She didn't threaten me, but my family. I was just trying to get back to my house, when her royal guards stopped me and threatened to leave my two daughters out in the sun if I didn't do what they said."  Enzo stopped, looking at Jungwon with pleading eyes. "With that information, please don't do anything to my precious daughters. They don't deserve to be dragged into this." 

Jungwon stayed silent, gesturing for him to go on. 

"They told me that the Queen would be hiring me to stop some crime in this world. They told me that all I had to do was stab your Royal Mistress and leave." Enzo said. 

Jungwon stayed silent, clasping his watch back around his wrist and folding the cloth back into his pocket. He stood up, turning to the guards and starting towards the door. 

"Take him to the dungeons. No matter the reason, you still committed a grave crime." 

The guards quickly complied, untying Enzo from his chair and pulling him up. Enzo didn't resist, limply dangling from their arms. 

"Ah-" Jungwon said, pausing. "Find this man's daughters." 

Enzo, tensed up, holding his breath. 

"And supply a few guards to their house. Give them orders to kill anyone who tries to take out his daughters." Jungwon said, side eyeing Enzo. 

Enzo let go of his breath, head slacking in relief. Sobs choked out of him. "Thank you so much, your highness. I will never forget your kindness." 

Jungwon opened the door and left, without sparing a turn or any other words. 

- end of flashback - 

Jungwon stopped outside of the infirmary door, clad in fresh, non-blood stained clothes. His hair was still slightly damp from the shower he took to scrub Enzo's blood off of himself. 

Before he could open the door, the door opened and someone stepped out. He glared at the person. 

At the sight of the prince, Geonu stepped out of the doorway and bowed,  eyelashes fluttering. "The lady is awake, your majesty." 

Jungwon scoffed. "As if I didn't know that." he muttered. 

He did not, in fact, know that. 

"Geonu," Jungwon said curtly. 

"Yes, your majesty?" Geonu asked, still not standing back up. 

"I want you to stay with her and be her personal guard. I can't risk another situation like this happening, not after I finally have someone to fully complete my plans." Jungwon said, eyes focused on Geonu. 

Geonu knew exactly what Jungwon was talking about by 'my plans', as one of the guards that led the children on their escape route. He sighed. "It'll be more dangerous in your own kingdom, nothing like how easy it was in the other kingdoms." 

Jungwon tensed. "You don't think I know that? I'm perfectly capable of figuring out the obvious." 

Hearing those words, Geonu's lips quirked up in a smile, though the prince couldn't see it. "You sound like the first time we met, your highness. Do you still remember that?" 

Jungwon scoffed, turning towards the door and preparing to step in. "I'll never forget the first time we met." He said, throwing a smirk at Geonu. "But I'll keep trying." 

Jungwon opened the door, taking in the smell of the infirmary; herbs and essential oils. Yumin was in the third bed but was the only patient currently residing in the infirmary. A nurse was humming to herself at the side of the infirmary, stocking the medicine and oils back into the cabinets. 

Sensing him, Yumin looked up. 

Yumin's POV 

It felt like it had been a few weeks since the last time I saw him, even if it was just a few days. We weren't close yet, so I didn't really miss him, but I did notice his absense. 

Geonu had pulled the curtains around my bed away so I wouldn't be stuck cocooned in the same area before he left. Jungwon smiled at me as he sat in the chair Geonu had sat in earlier, his hair damp. 

"How are you?" He asked. 

"I've had better days." I said. 

Jungwon chuckled, pushing his hair back with his hands before sucking a breath in. "I spoke with your attacker. We know who planned this attack." 

I tilted my head. Geonu had told me a few hours ago that they didn't know who the attacker was and the Jungwon was taking care of it. I didn't expect Jungwon to be able to do it so quickly. "Oh? Who was it?" 

"The Queen." 

Again, I was left in confusion and shock. It seemed that those two emotions have been bouncing back at me repeatedly this past week. "But, why would your mother do that to you?" 

Hearing my words, Jungwon flinched. His eyes left mine. "She's not my mother. I'm not related to that horrible woman." 

"Ah... I see." 

Noticing my hesitancy, he looked back up at me and out the window next to my bed. His eyes were full of worry. "It's the middle of the night right now. How are you feeling? Do you think you can go out with me for a walk if we put you in a wheelchair?" 

Hearing his words, excitement coursed through me. I had already felt tired and bored of being stuck in the infirmary even after a few hours of being awake again. The nurse had told me that with my injury, I would have to stay under her care and be monitored for at least a few more days. I wasn't even permitted to leave the room. However, no one would be able to stop the crown prince. 

I nodded. "I'd like that." 

Almost immediately, the nurse came up to us. She was wheeling a wheelchair to my bedside with a smile. "Here, I'll help you get in." 

With the help of Jungwon and the nurse, I successfully got out of the bed and into the wheelchair. The material felt soft. There was a dull ache coming from my side from the movement, but I decided not to say anything of it in case they wouldn't let me go outside anymore if they knew of it.

Something soft was wrapped around my abdomen. Looking down, I saw that it was a blanket that Jungwon carefully placed on me. Before I knew it, I was being wrapped around my shoulders and my neck, too, with soft fleece blankets until only my eyes and above were visible. 

I felt like I was getting suffocated in the heat.

"Uhm... is it really necessary for me to be wrapped like this?" I asked, glaring at Jungwon. 

"It's winter now, so it's cold outside." He barked back. 

Jungwon gently took the wheelchair out of the nurse's hands, starting our way out of the infirmary and into the garden.