Chapter Two

Unraveling the Ordinary

The next morning was like any other. I woke up to Bella's wet nose nudging my arm, her tail wagging eagerly. She wanted her morning walk, and there was no denying her. "Alright, alright," I mumbled, rolling out of bed and pulling on a pair of sweats.

Outside, the city was already awake, bustling with the usual morning energy. Bella and I made our way down the familiar block, but my mind kept drifting back to Ryan. It had only been a day since our encounter, yet he lingered in my thoughts like a stubborn memory.

"Why am I thinking about him?" I muttered to myself as Bella tugged at her leash, eager to keep moving.

Once we were back home, I dropped Bella off at Treasure's pet salon before heading to work. As always, Treasure greeted Bella with open arms.

"There's my girl!" Treasure cooed, rubbing Bella's head affectionately. She glanced up at me with a knowing smile. "You look distracted today."

"Do I?" I asked, feigning ignorance as I adjusted my messy bun.

Treasure tilted her head, her hands resting on her hips. "Come on, Nyla. Spill it. What's going on?"

I hesitated, unsure of how to explain my thoughts. "There was this guy at the diner yesterday... he was different."

"Different how?" Treasure asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't know," I said with a shrug. "He had this aura—confident, but not cocky. And he was... nice."

"Ohh," Treasure teased, her eyes twinkling. "Sounds like someone has a crush."

I rolled my eyes. "Please, Treasure. It's not like that. I mean, he's probably long gone by now."

"Or he could be right around the corner," she suggested. "You never know."

"Yeah, right," I said, but the thought warmed me a little. "I have to get to work. See you later."

By the time I arrived at Tony's Grill, it was already buzzing with activity. I tied my apron around my waist, determined to put thoughts of Ryan aside and focus on the day ahead. But as fate would have it, the universe had other plans.

Just before noon, as I was taking an order from a group of regulars, I noticed a familiar figure at the entrance. My heart skipped a beat—it was Ryan, back again.

I pretended not to notice, but I couldn't ignore the flutter of excitement in my chest. He made his way to the same booth as the day before. I took a deep breath, composed myself, and walked over.

"Back so soon?" I asked, trying to keep my tone casual.

He smiled, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "What can I say? I enjoyed the pancakes—and the service."

"Glad to hear it," I said, feeling my cheeks warm. "Same order as yesterday?"

"Actually," he said, leaning forward slightly, "I was hoping you'd join me for a quick break. If you're allowed, of course."

I was taken aback by his directness. "You want me to sit with you?"

"Just for a coffee," he clarified. "I promise, I'm not here to disrupt your work."

I glanced over at Tony, who caught my eye. He raised an eyebrow, then gave a small nod of approval.

"Alright," I said, sliding into the booth across from Ryan. "But only for a few minutes."

"Fair enough," he said, a genuine smile spreading across his face.

As I poured two cups of coffee, I felt an odd sense of déjà vu, as if this moment was meant to happen.

"So, what brings you back?" I asked, genuinely curious.

He paused, as if weighing his words. "Let's just say I find this place... comforting."

"Comforting?" I repeated, intrigued by his choice of words.

"Yeah," he replied, his gaze steady. "It's rare to find places like this—unpretentious, real. You don't get that everywhere."

His words surprised me. "You sound like someone who's been to a lot of places."

Ryan's eyes flickered with something unspoken. "You could say that. I've done my fair share of traveling."

"Must be nice," I said, stirring my coffee absentmindedly. "I've never really been anywhere outside of California."

"Well," he said, his tone light but meaningful, "maybe one day you will."

I laughed, shaking my head. "I'm not exactly the adventurous type. I'm more of a 'stay in one place' kind of girl."

Ryan studied me for a moment, his gaze softening. "Sometimes, the best adventures find you, even if you're not looking for them."

There was a weight to his words that made me pause, as if he understood things beyond my comprehension. But before I could ask more, Manny called out from the kitchen, breaking the spell.

"Nyla! Order's up!"

I stood, feeling a twinge of reluctance. "Duty calls."

Ryan nodded, his smile still warm. "I'll be here a while. Take your time."

I returned to work, my mind buzzing with questions. Who was Ryan, really? And why did he keep coming back to this diner?

When my shift ended, Ryan was still there, sipping his coffee and jotting notes in a small notebook. I hesitated, unsure if I should approach him again. But before I could decide, he looked up and caught my eye.

"Heading out?" he asked.

"Yeah," I replied, suddenly feeling shy. "It's been a long day."

He stood, slipping the notebook into his jacket pocket. "Well, it was nice seeing you again, Nyla. Maybe we'll cross paths once more."

"Maybe," I said, offering a small smile. "Take care, Ryan."

As I walked out into the warm evening air, I felt a strange sense of hope. Perhaps Treasure was right—maybe Ryan was more than just a fleeting stranger in my otherwise predictable life.

And as I made my way home to pick up Bella from Treasure's, I found myself thinking that maybe, just maybe, things were finally beginning to change.