Chapter Thirteen

Catching Up

The sun began to set, casting a golden glow over Los Angeles as Nyla returned to her cozy one-bedroom apartment. Nestled on the third floor of a charming vintage building, her home was a perfect blend of modern comfort and classic LA charm. Large windows framed a stunning view of the bustling city skyline, while wooden floors added a sense of warmth to the space.

The apartment was a reflection of Nyla's eclectic style—effortlessly stylish yet inviting. A plush, oversized sectional sofa in deep teal dominated the living room, accompanied by an assortment of colorful throw pillows and a vintage coffee table with brass legs. The soft scent of lavender and vanilla lingered in the air, thanks to a burning candle on the table.

In the small but bright kitchen, white subway tiles and open shelving showcased her collection of vibrant ceramics. A quaint breakfast nook by the window offered the perfect spot for morning coffee or quiet contemplation. Yet, it was Nyla's bedroom that was the true heart of her sanctuary—fluffy blankets and pillows in pastel hues adorned the bed, creating a calming ambiance.

Bella, Nyla's tiny puppy, was already curled up among the cozy blankets, her soft fur blending seamlessly into the warm hues of the room. Nyla settled beside her, opening her laptop to catch up on work when her phone buzzed unexpectedly.

"Naihaji!" she exclaimed upon seeing her older sister's name flash across the screen. With a grin, she answered quickly. "Hey, sis! What's up?"

Naihaji's voice was filled with uncontainable joy. "Nyla, I've got amazing news! Marcus and I are expecting a baby!"

Nyla's eyes widened with delight. "Oh my gosh, Naihaji! That's incredible! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you both!"

"Thank you," Naihaji replied, her voice softening with emotion. "We've been hoping for this for a while now, and it feels like a blessing."

Nyla felt a swell of love for her sister. "I bet Marcus is thrilled. I can already picture him planning baseball lessons!"

Naihaji chuckled. "You know him too well. He's already talking about teaching our little one to swing a bat and throw a ball."

"You're going to be the best mom, and I can't wait to be Auntie Nyla," she said, her voice brimming with excitement.

"And you'll be the coolest aunt," Naihaji added, her tone tender. "I can't wait for you to meet the baby."

"Me neither," Nyla said, her heart full. "This is the best news I've heard all week! How are you feeling, though? Any weird cravings yet?"

Naihaji laughed softly. "Not yet, but I'm definitely more tired. Marcus has been a great help, though. He's handling things around the house."

Nyla felt a surge of gratitude for her sister's happiness. "You deserve all of it, Naihaji. I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks, Nyla," Naihaji said warmly. "But enough about me—how are things going with Ryan?"

Nyla paused, her thoughts drifting to the whirlwind of emotions that had marked her journey with Ryan. "Honestly, it's been surreal. He's been amazing, and we're taking it one step at a time."

"I'm so proud of you, Nyla," Naihaji said. "You've faced so much, but you've handled it all with grace."

Her words touched Nyla deeply. "Your support means everything to me. We're all in this together, no matter what."

"Always," Naihaji echoed. "We need to plan a visit soon. I miss you."

"I miss you too," Nyla said softly. "Let's make it happen soon."

The two sisters continued chatting, sharing updates, laughter, and stories about their lives. By the time Nyla hung up, she felt uplifted and filled with love. She leaned back, reaching for Bella, who nudged closer, seeking attention.

As the evening settled in, Nyla decided to set aside her laptop and reached for her notebook instead. Inspired by the call, she jotted down some ideas and plans, feeling a renewed sense of motivation.

The city lights twinkled outside, a reflection of the bright possibilities ahead. Surrounded by love—from her family, friends, and even Ryan—Nyla felt ready for whatever lay ahead. No matter the challenges, she was certain she wasn't alone in facing them.