Chapter Twenty-One

Shadows of the Past

Nyla's days were now a whirlwind of royal events, charity work, and public engagements. Each occasion demanded poise, diplomacy, and unwavering grace. Yet, as she prepared for her latest trip to Los Angeles, she couldn't help but feel a tug of nostalgia mixed with unease. This was her first major royal engagement in the city she once called home. It was a bittersweet reminder of where she had started and how far she had come.

Dressed in a stunning sapphire gown that matched her eyes, Nyla felt a mix of excitement and pressure. Queen Catherine had insisted on joining her and Ryan for the event, a prestigious charity gala in Beverly Hills. Nyla appreciated her mother-in-law's support, but the pressure to represent the royal family perfectly weighed heavily.

The grand ballroom at the Beverly Hills Hotel was alive with elegance and energy when Nyla and Ryan arrived. Photographers' flashbulbs burst like fireworks, capturing every step of the royal couple.

"Smile, my love," Ryan whispered reassuringly, his hand warm against hers. "You've got this."

Nyla took a steadying breath, offering a graceful smile to the cameras. As they made their way inside, she was greeted by dignitaries, Hollywood elites, and high-profile philanthropists. Though she maintained her formal demeanor, a wave of nostalgia hit her—this was the city where she had faced so many struggles, now welcoming her as a royal guest.

Amid the mingling, a familiar voice suddenly called out: "Nyla?"

Nyla turned to see Josie, looking radiant in a sleek black gown. In an instant, Nyla's regal exterior gave way to pure joy.

"Josie! What are you doing here?" Nyla exclaimed, pulling her friend into a warm embrace.

Josie grinned. "I could ask you the same, but your tiara kind of gives it away," she teased. "I'm here with one of the sponsors. It's definitely an upgrade from the diner days."

Nyla's laughter was filled with relief. "I've missed you so much, Josie. It feels good to see a familiar face."

"I've missed you too, girl," Josie replied sincerely. "You've come so far, but I know it hasn't been easy."

Just as Nyla was about to respond, a commotion by the entrance caught her eye. Her heart sank as she spotted Devin and Tracy entering, both dressed to impress. They seemed determined to make a scene.

Josie noticed Nyla's unease and leaned in. "Ignore them. They don't deserve your attention."

But Devin, ever opportunistic, approached Nyla with a smug grin, Tracy trailing close behind.

"Well, look who's made it to the big leagues," Devin sneered, trying to appear charming.

Nyla remained calm, her voice steady. "This isn't the time or place, Devin. I have nothing to say to you."

Tracy, emboldened, chimed in with a bitter tone. "Think you're better than us now?"

Before Nyla could respond, Ryan appeared beside her, his presence commanding. "Is there a problem here?" he asked, his voice calm but firm.

Devin's arrogance faltered under Ryan's gaze. "No problem, Your Highness. Just a friendly hello," he muttered, avoiding eye contact.

Nyla turned to Ryan, her eyes resolute. "Let's go."

As they moved away from the confrontation, Nyla felt a mix of relief and lingering frustration. Despite having come to terms with her past, its sudden reappearance was a harsh reminder of her journey.

Ryan led Nyla to a quieter corner of the ballroom. "Are you alright?" he asked gently, his concern evident.

"I am," Nyla replied with a sigh. "I've made peace with my past, but it doesn't mean it's gone. It's still a part of me."

Ryan's eyes softened, his voice filled with warmth. "And that's what makes you the woman I love. You don't have to hide your past, Nyla."

With his words, Nyla felt a sense of acceptance. Her past, no matter how complicated, had shaped her into the woman she was. She didn't have to erase it—she just had to embrace it.

Renewed with strength, Nyla stepped back into the crowd. The city that once held only shadows now welcomed her as a symbol of grace and resilience. She was ready to face both her royal responsibilities and the ghosts of her past.