Heavenly Refuge ~ Ch. 2

Dad dropped Luna off at the front of Lotus High. She reassured her Dad that he didn’t need to come in and sign any more paperwork. He looked slightly relieved that he didn’t need to sign any more papers. She readjusted the strap of her bag as she walked into the building. Once she was in the front office, everything went… kablooey. Yeah, that’s the right word. Kablooey! It started when she just stated her name.

        “Hello. My name is Luna Moon, the transfer student. I was meant to be at an assembly this morning but… I got held back.” she said, quietly.

        The blonde lady at the front desk looked up sharply. “Ah, yes. You are exactly thirty-seven minutes late for the assembly that you were supposed to be at, miss. And what, exactly, is your excuse?” she stated stiffly. Her nametag said, Welcome to Lotus High! My name is, Laura Mealager.

        Luna silently handed her the doctors note, staring at Ms. Mealager. She looked over it carefully and didn’t show any sympathy about what it said or where Luna had been. Lovely. A teacher -no, just a staff member- who was just like a robot inside. Get the job done with no emotion.

        Luna was considering on how some teachers were like alien robot things when Ms. Mealager started talking.

        “Your lecture will go on as planned. We will call the whole school to the theatre and you will give a one hour speech on how your disease affects you and other people like you.” The way she said it, your disease, made Luna cringe inside. She said nothing as staff and teachers around her started to get to their posts to direct students towards the theatre.

        She was impressed. Not many schools had theatres. Mostly everything was in the gym but if the school has a theatre, there must be a lot of plays or something here.

        “Come over here.” a teacher said, taking me hand. “I’ll show you where you’ll be going.” He was a nice man who looked to be in his early sixties.

        She smiled. “Thank you. That would help.”

        “So you’re a transfer student, I hear.” he said, after a moment of silence.

        “You hear correctly. I came from Dallas, Texas.” Luna said.

        “Dallas… wow. A couple states away, isn’t it?”

        She laughed. “Yes. I suppose it is.”

        “Sorry. I’m not meaning to pry, but why did you move here, to a small town that no one really thinks about?”

        “Oh! Well… most of those questions will be answered in the assembly.”

        “Of course. I imagine that you’d need a lot of information to give an hour’s worth of speech.”

        “Yeah, I have never given a lecture that long. Usually they’re thirty to forty-five minutes long… oh, well. I’ll just have to improvise in the extra time.” she sighed.

        “So this is a regular thing for you?” he asked.

        “Yes. Frequently, I’m discovered by someone about my… illness and is asked to give a speech or something.”

        “And do you like it?”

        “Yes, I do.” Luna answered.