Heavenly Refuge ~ Ch. 15

Luna stood a couple blocks away, standing under a lamp post, completely lost. She cursed herself that she didn’t ask for directions when Rupert was texting her. She searched her pockets, and finally fished her phone out and dialing the number that he had messaged her with.

       “Hello?” he answered on the first ring.

       “Hey... I got out okay, but... I have no clue where I am now.” Luna said, pitifully.

       Rupert seemed to know that it was her. “That’s okay, I’ll come pick you up. Which direction did you go when you left the hospital?”

       She considered for a moment. “Uh... left... I think. I’m at a corner, under a street lamp.”

       “Okay, I’ll be there in a few minutes.” Then the line went dead. So what could she do, just sit down where she was and fiddled with her hair, looking at her split ends. She needed a haircut badly.

       Steps echoed off the pavement and started to come towards her. She didn’t look up but tensed for a moment, suddenly realizing how vulnerable she was. But when she looked, Rupert was easily strolling towards her, like they were old friends.

       He stopped a couple feet in front of Luna and raised his hand in greeting. “Hey, Luna.”

       “Hey. So what do you want?” she asked.

       “So direct.” he said, chuckling.

       Luna walked towards him. “More like curious. I really want to know why you have such an interest in me.” she said. “Tell me what direction my house is?”

       Rupert raised an eyebrow at her.

       “Don’t play innocent with me; I know that you stalked me. Simon tried to hide it, but I saw the pictures that you took. That was your black Herse right?”

       Reluctantly, he nodded. “We didn’t get much information; only what was necessary. I didn’t know... I wouldn’t have...” he said, unsure of himself. He walked in the direction where her house probably was.

       “It’s okay, after a lot of thought, I don’t peg you for gigolo.” she said.

       A bark of laughter filled the air. “Should I say thanks for that?”

       She shrugged. “It’s better than being called a serial killer.”

       “Good point.” he said.

       They both lapsed into silence, each in their own thoughts. Luna tried to consider what Rupert could want from her, a girl that was dying; but all she could think about what she was going to do.

       Luna could tell she was starting to lag behind, coughing a bit more. She wouldn’t last long and she knew it, but that’s the reason that she had to do this. The feeling inside her couldn’t be shaken, as she drew in a shuddering breath. Her home came into view, and had a quick change of heart.

       “Go to the pier, I’ll be there in a minute.” she said.

       Rupert eyed her warily, but eventually walked towards their destination.

       After a long look at the house, Luna made her way to the red truck, running her hands along the firetruck red paint on it. A full moon hung in the sky, illuminating everything. She jumped in the trunk and went through the box and pulled out a notebook and pencil. She just felt like she needed it.