Heavenly Refuge ~ Ch. 9

Luna woke up on the couch, Simon still laying on her lap fast asleep. She checked the clock and saw that it was three forty-five in the morning, making it still too early to get ready for school.

With a sigh, she carefully disengaged herself from Simon who didn’t even stir when he was alone on the couch. Luna snorted at the thought of him being a heavy sleeper, he just seemed like the kind of guy who’d be paranoid when they slept. But maybe he was just worn out from the fighting he did last night.

Her heart clenched at the thought of him being hurt and she shook her head. Slow down girl, you don’t want any romance. Heck, her life should be a five-star drama show.

Luna went up to her room and pulled out her violin case and went back down. She gazed at Simon’s sleeping face for a moment -relaxed and content- and then went outside. She took out the instrument and placed it in position. After a quick run-through of all the songs she’s memorized, Luna started to play.

Chopin’s Tristess rang out through the sky, resounded towards the steady rhythm of the sea, and floated in the slight breeze. Like always, she lost herself, feeling nothing but the notes as they rang high in the early morning sky, and she smiled. Nothing could stop her from playing her violin, not even death, just as an animal couldn’t fight it’s instincts. It was programmed into her mind, everlasting -that’s one thing she’d always have.

The song came to an end and the coldness of reality set in. Or maybe it was the temperature, but either way, it was freezing either way. She sat on the porch steps, thinking of what to do.

Honestly, what did people do when they only had two months to live?

Luna was staring at the ground, lost in thought, so she didn’t notice the black car pull up, she didn’t notice the two people inside the car watching her, and she didn’t notice when there was a flash of a camera taking her picture.

She went back inside, unaware of the danger, and occupied herself by bouncing a tie-dyed bouncy ball. Who knew you could amuse yourself for four hours with that little thing?

Dad came into the kitchen around seven, looking ready to go except for his messy hair like every morning. Luna was already dressed and ready while Simon was still snoring on the couch. Unspoken communication went through them: he wouldn’t go to school today, not after last night.

Luna and Dad set out to school, doubting that he’d be up when Dad came back.

“Bye, dad.” she said, shutting the door.

He nodded his head, sleepily and went back home.

She walked up the steps alone and went to the classroom. Like yesterday, everyone was whispering and staring. Luna stared out the window, ignoring them, and watched as the white clouds passed by.

“Simon’s not with you?”

Luna turned to see Chisa walking towards her. “No,”

“Humph.” she said, and walked away, swaying her hips.

She looked like a swing set in motion. Luna rolled her eyes and went back to staring.

Mrs. Vang started class and talked about how the evolution of slugs were and how they’ve changed. You could tell the class was interested because Luke and Kevin -his friend- kept on making rude comments on people they hated. Including Luna. So she guessed that they were people who’ve beaten him before.

Gym came and now they were playing basketball. Luna watched from the wall.

“Luna, duck!” the coach said.