Heavenly Refuge ~ Ch. 13

Luna started to come to when she heard the audible click of metal and something wrapping around her ankle. Wincing, she opened her eyes to see a pair of green eyes staring back at her. She let out a murderous scream, but he only stared at her amusement showing on his slick and greasy face.

She tried to get up, but something held her down. Luna lifted up the skirts of her dress that she still had on, only to reveal handcuffs clamped around her ankle and the bed post. She looked up at the strange man, fear squeezing in on her, constricting her.

He reached behind him, and Luna let out a squeak, expecting a knife, grenade,... anything. Anything but clothes that had the price tags still on it. She stared at the clothes like she’s never seen them before, like she was from an alien planet and hadn’t heard of these “clothes”.

“Here.” he muttered. “It doesn’t look very comfortable to be in that outfit.”

They landed on the bed next to her, and when she held it up, they were good enough, and exactly her size, small. Either it was obvious what her size was or this guy was a serious stalker. She was going with the latter.

Luna looked back up at him. He was about the same age as her Dad, maybe a bit younger, she wasn’t sure. His hair was long and blonde with a couple of gray streaks, tall but not too tall. His cheeks were hollow and you could see his ribs through his thin t-shirt even though the weather was really cold now.

He shuffled over to the bed, and she cringed away, but he was only getting the handcuffs off her ankle. When he was gone, she heard the lock of the door click, and Luna sighed. She might as well change since she didn’t plan on being in her blue dress forever.

She was surprised to see that the people who got her had good taste, even though it wasn’t what she usually wore. They got her a black poncho-like shirt and blue jeans, but no shoes. Luna frowned at that and glanced at the floor; glass and wood met her eyes and she decided she had no choice but to keep wearing her the small heels she had.

Getting up, she walked over to the broken mirror, and examined herself. Not half-bad, not that she thinks of herself as runway material or anything. Bruises lined her jaw where the thug had grabbed her earlier, and bags were under her eyes. Luna inspected further. “Hm... they have seven years of bad luck.” she murmured.

A laugh jolted her upright, scaring her. It was the same guy again, and he leaned against the doorway. It was open, and all she had to do was knock him over and race to freedom, but that’s what he expected. Luna said nothing.

He held out a calloused hand. “I’m Rupert. Pleased to meet you Luna.”

She stared at it for a while, then pointed at it. “You want me to shake it?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

Rupert chuckled and withdrew his arm.

Luna leaned on one hip and crossed her arms, trying to look a bit relaxed. It was ruined when she had to cough so hard that she had to grip the bed post. He moved closer, a hand reaching out to help, but she backed up. “Don’t touch me.” she hissed, her voice a bit raspy. A small pain came from her lungs when she coughed some more.

Her captor retreated back to guard the door again.

She was surprised. She hadn’t coughed this hard since she fell into the ocean and swallowed gallons of salt into her throat.

“I’m not what you think. And I can give a pretty good guess to what you’re thinking.” he said, after she was done.

“Oh, so you’re not the Easter Bunny? Way to ruin a girl’s dreams.” she said, smirking.