[9] It Will Never Happen

Get on the feels train everyone, here are your tickets~

Enjoy the chapter :)

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

[Kaden]

Kaden was silent for a moment, thinking about what to say, "Phoebe, I-...To be honest-" he composed himself, "I don't think he has a family."

Phoebe looked at him in surprise, sitting up straighter as she replied, "Kaden!" she scolded quietly, "Why would you say that?". Kaden looked at her seriously, "I don't mean it like that." he explained, "Think about it. He winds up outside the city with no recollection of anything and terrible injuries. No one has come forward to claim him. Hell, the council is doing nothing about it!" he growled, "If someone wanted to get rid of him, and he is an orphan, it would be the perfect crime."

Phoebe looked shocked. What Kaden said did make sense, but why would this person do that to a kit in the first place? The thought left a bitter taste in her mouth.

Kaden sighed in frustration, "Like I said, the council is not helping the situation at all. They never even asked about him for any updates!" he paused, "It's either they know something we don't, or they just don't care enough to look into the situation. whatever it is, I don't like it."

"Ratchet shouldn't be going through this. He's only..." he trailed off, lost in thought, "We've only known him for a couple months now but...I can't stand the thought of something happening to him. Or going back to...whatever lonely life he had before this."

Phoebe smiled sadly, "He is a wonderful kid, Kaden. But you can't just assume things you don't know. It makes a lot of sense, however." she paused, "It's true what you say? About the council?"

Kaden nodded solemnly, "Yes. It's true. And I don't like it. Not one bit."

Phoebe had to agree with him on that one. She, too, has gotten closer to Ratchet over these months, even though she promised herself not to get close in the beginning. Having a kit around was tough at first. Now though, the old wounds are starting to heal bit by bit.

He helped her garden, he helped her wash the dishes, he helped her bake, and at this point she found herself wanting to spend whatever moment she could with him. She knew for a fact that Kaden felt the same.

There was a section in the garage with whatever Kaden received from Ratchet or whatever they made together. She also knows for a fact that after dinner he folded up the letter Ratchet got from McMarx and put it on the shelf after showing her. Kaden was happy, and so was she.

But she knew to never get too attached, after all, Ratchet had his own family somewhere out there. If what Kaden said was true, it seemed too good to be true.

Even so, they would be heartbroken when Ratchet would leave, and their old wounds will, once again, open up and cause more pain than any other.

"Kade, you have to give it more time. You know this."

"But how long?"

They both did not have the answer to that question.

"It's been long enough for the council to give us just one bit of information. Ratchet has been healing, but the council doesn't seem to be looking into anything."

"But Ratchet has no memories for them to go off of."

"So you're telling me that even though they had no information to go off of, they wouldn't even bother to look at any evidence or search for any information on planet and off-planet?"