[42] Crescendo -Part I-

Been a long wait so I won't hold you up! Enjoy the longer chapter!

[EDIT] 9/9/2022 : I gave it some thought and decided to place some warnings here. It gets pretty heavy from here on out. **TW** Violence and Death in this chapter!

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

[Phoebe]

"That's not...That's not Ratchet...."

Mags looked at the woman as if she was crazy, eyes wide in disbelief. "Uhm...Pho, what do you mean? There's no other Lombax that was off planet besides Ratchet, Arthur, and Clank. Besides..." he gestured to the group in the living room, "He looks the same. Just like Kaden...as he always was."

Phoebe shook her head, "I can feel it, Mags." she whispered, "Please, believe me. It's not him."

"He regained his memories, Phoebe. And...who knows what happened to Clank!"

"That's another problem." she said, "He said nothing about Clank! They are best friends."

Mags frowned, "Something happened."

Phoebe went silent, tears almost coming to her eyes.

No one would believe her. Kaden especially. He was already so overjoyed but...why couldn't he see it!? This...this person impersonating her son held no recognition in their eyes! The adoration that would be there when Ratchet looked at Kaden was no longer there. The soft gaze he looked at Phoebe with...was also gone. The joy that he had when seeing Oliver...nonexistent.

His posture...the way he held himself, his confidence, demeanor...everything was wrong.

"Phoebe...are you alright?"

She looked back to Mags, "No." she said, "No one will believe me."

Mags was silent, "Phoebe-"

"Mags, you need to help me here." she whispered, pulling a device out of her pocket, "This...holds Clank's memories. I need you to help me access it."

"Pho-"

"Please." she begged, laying a gentle hand on his arm, "For me? For Ratchet and Clank?

Mags looked hesitant, staring at the group in front of them in contemplation. Oliver was adamantly speaking with Ratchet, Kaden watched the boys with a fond look, gaze mainly focused on his son.

Mags eventually sighed, tapping Phoebe's hand, "Alright, I'll help you." he replied, "When?"

"Tonight or tomorrow." she confirmed, "I'm not wasting time." Mags nodded, "Okay...tomorrow. My place. But how will you tell Kaden?"

"I won't." she said simply, "He will be too busy with...Ratchet. I can tell. I'll make an excuse. That or we'll come up with something"

Mags nodded, shifting on his feet and looking back to the group...

"Ratch? You okay?" he called out.

Nova snapped out of their thoughts, shaking their head, "Sorry...just...out of it, I guess."

Oliver nodded, "Maybe you should rest?"

"Not tired..." Nova replied, avoiding eye contact with the boy, "There's..a lot."

Oliver winced at the words, looking back at Kaden, who looked like he wanted to ask something. He opened his mouth-

*Knock*Knock*

"I know who that is..." Kaden got up with a smile, "Get ready, Ratch. You are about to be hugged."

Nova refrained from scowling, they didn't want to be hugged by strangers anymore...