[43] Crescendo -Part II-

>>Hello everyone! Sorry for the wait! I won't hold you from reading but PLEASE read the notes below before you skip to reading!<<

>>WARNING<< : *mild* violence,  death, and blood and some descriptions of injuries in this chapter. Nothing too graphic, but considerably more than the last chapter! It is war, after all. Don't say I did not warn you! If you wish not to read,  please don't. Instead, PLEASE PM me and ask for a summary! I tried to keep things a bit vague to lessen the burn, but it does get a bit intense!

I hope you all enjoy the chapter!

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

[Kaden]

He should have been paying attention....

Watching silently as Clank fixed the Dimensionator was one thing, but getting people to stay in a line while entering? That's a whole other thing. He didn't know how long it took for his mind to catch up with his body, but once it did....it was like he blinked awake.

"Where's Clank!?"

He looked over to Mags, who was holding onto the Dimensionator, "I...have no idea!" he beckoned more people forward. Kaden sighed, turning to look at his worried wife. She was looking around nervously, eyes scanning the crowd in front of them.

"He's not here." he whispered fretfully, "He was right behind us."

"He must have gone to help Ratchet." she turned to him then, "Kaden...we knew this was going to happen."

"But he was just here! I could have gone with him or...or stopped him and get him to safety and-"

"The last thing he would do is listen to you right now." Phoebe said regretfully, "He's made his choices, Kaden."

He couldn't disagree with her there. He was the same, after all. He knew that once he made a decision...he was going to follow through with it no matter the costs.

It seems like his own son did the same. And even Clank did too.

....

If only they weren't putting themselves in grave danger.

"Then I-"

"-You are going after them." Phoebe clarified, "I...I want to come with you."

"I know."

"And I'm going to."

"You're not." Kaden turned to her, putting his hands on his wife's shoulders, "Phoebe...I have to do this." he said, "If...anything happens to me, it's better one of us is safe so...so Ratchet and Clank have someone to go home to."

Phoebe looked distraught...

"And...you will be able to help the medics if there are any wounded after...all of this. You need to stay, my love."

And she didn't argue because she knew he was right. He had proper reasoning but...that didn't mean she couldn't be upset. The mere prospect of losing her husband...and possibly her child was enough to reduce her to tears.

She surged forward, bringing him into a desperate, tight embrace that screamed "Please don't go."

But she knew he had to. She knew he was going to go no matter what she said.

"Bring them home safe." she whispered to him, "In one piece." she squeezed him tighter, "I won't be able to be without you."

"You can." he whispered, "I know you can."