Ch. 37 - Aftermath

BEEP

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

Why in the fuck is there a beeping noise?

I cracked my eyes opening, and the light almost blinded me. I blinked a few times to adjust to my surroundings. My whole face hurts as well as my body.

I looked down to see that I was in a hospital bed, and I had and IV in my arm. Somebody was holding my hand, I looked over to my right to see Leah sitting in the chair right next to my bed. Her head was rested beside my legs, and she was sleeping.

What in the hell happened?

Then it all hit me at once. Leah and I telling her parents everything, and Luke calling Adeline and my father, telling them everything. My father yelling at me and shoving me. Me turning around to leave when I felt somebody grab my arm.

I thought it was my father. I didn't know it was Adeline. I pushed the person back, and that's when I turned around and realized it was her. She fell, and that's when all hell broke loose.

"Joshua," Leah's voice said, bringing me out of my thoughts.

Her eyes were looking at me, but I noticed the bags under her eyes and the pinkness of her nose. She's been crying a lot.

"Annie," I replied, making her smile.

"You're awake. Thank God," she said as tears welled in her eyes.

"Hey, hey, don't cry. I'm okay," I said, making her nod.

"They're happy tears. You have been out for almost twenty four hours," Leah informed me, wiping a stray tear away.

"Really?" I asked as I tried to sit up. As soon as I did, my back started burning like hell.

"Fuck!" I groaned in pain as Leah shot up from her chair.

"I'll get the doctor. Hold on, okay?" Leah said before calling for help.

A few seconds later, a doctor and a nurse walked in the room. My back was still burning, and the doctor gave me a warm smile.

"Joshua, I see that you are finally awake. How are you feeling?" He asked me as he looked in my chart.

"My back is on fire," I replied with a groan.

The doctor nodded,"Okay. We'll give you some more medicine to help ease the pain."

"How bad am I, Doc?" I asked as the nurse started getting my medicine out.

"You have three bruised ribs and two broken, a fractured wrist, a busted lip, bruised jaw, a major concussion, bruised knuckles, and welts and bruises all over your back. It's a miracle you aren't in a coma to be completely honest with you. Your body has been completely damaged, Joshua, and you are going to have serious recovery time," the doctor explained to me, making me think back to what happened.