Ch. 3 - Cheater

FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK, things went by smoothly

FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK, things went by smoothly. I didn't have any more run ins with Joshua expect for the fact he has been watching me in every class we share.

And now it's Friday, and I am not ready for the party tonight.

I might just tell Asher I'm not feeling well.

"Leah, you good? You haven't said anything all morning," Vanessa asked me as we walked to our first class.

"I'm just exhausted," I replied with a smile.

"Same. It's only the first week of school, and I already want to quit. Can I drop out? I'm sixteen," Vanessa said in a joking tone.

"I'm really debating it," I told her, making her laugh.

We walked into the classroom, and we sat down in our desks. The bell rang, and I went to open my textbook when I realized that I grabbed the wrong textbook.

"Crap. I'll be right back. I grabbed the wrong book," I told Vanessa who was looking at her blue nails.

"Okay."

I walked out of the classroom and towards my locker. I have to hurry back before the tardy bell rings. I finally reached my locker, and I put in my combination.

My locker popped open, and I switched out books. When I shut the locker, I was startled by the devil himself.

Joshua Carter was leaned against the lockers, and he looked down at me curiously.

"Can I help you?" I asked him, tightening my grip on my book.

"For somebody so fucking smart, you are very oblivious," Joshua replied, chewing on a piece of gum.

"Excuse me?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"He can literally kill somebody right in front of you, and you wouldn't acknowledge it."

"Look, I don't know why you started talking to me again after two years, but you need to stay out of my business."

"I was until he stumbled in the door with another girl that definitely didn't look like you," he said, harshly.

His eyes softened when he realized his tone. I just stood there in disbelief.

Asher wouldn't cheat on me. He wouldn't.

"I don't believe you. Asher and I have been together for almost four years now," I replied, making him laugh, humorlessly.

"Well, I don't give a fuck if you believe me or not. I was telling you that he is cheating on you," Joshua said, running hand through his messy brown hair.

The tardy bell rang, making me groan.

"And now it looks like we are both going to have detention," Joshua told me before walking away.