Ch. 46 - "I'm Sorry."

I COULDN'T HEAR ANYTHING AS THE paramedics worked on Leah

I COULDN'T HEAR ANYTHING AS THE paramedics worked on Leah. I couldn't hear anything as they pushed her out of the ambulance into the hospital. I couldn't hear anything as the doctors rushed her into surgery, and the nurses pushing me back telling me I couldn't go in there with her.

The only thing I could hear was her last words; I love you playing over and over in my head. Dried blood, her blood, coated my hands and my clothes. My own blood still dripped from my head. A medic tried to get me to get stitches, but I couldn't leave Leah's side.

I wouldn't leave her side. It's my fault she's here. If I would have just gone with Eliza, she would have never hurt Leah. Leah would okay, but because I didn't, she's in surgery, fighting for her life.

I don't know even know how I'm standing. My legs felt like Jello, and my body was aching from all of the beatings I took in the last two weeks. Yet the only thing I am focused on is my girl.

"Joshua, you need to get seen by a doctor. You need stitches and God knows what else," Xavier said, worriedly, after thirty minutes passed with no update from the doctor.

"I'm fine," I said as I paced back and forth. I refuse to leave her side. Not like I did with my Mom. I am going to stay here until she is out of surgery.

"No you're not. You can't do anything for Leah right now expect get checked out. She's in good hands, Joshua," Jake tried to persuade me, but I shook my head.

"No. Now drop it," I said, firmly, as flashbacks of seeing my Mom for the last time ran through my head over and over again.

I should have stayed. I didn't know. All because I wanted a pack of Skittles. I remember her laughing, weakly, as she told me that she wanted a thing of M & Ms. And with that, I left, but not before she told me she loved me. I remember laughing myself, saying I would be right back, but I did tell her that I loved her as well. If I had known, I would have never left the room. I would have never left her by herself.

And I refuse to do that with Leah. I am not leaving her side.

Ten minutes passed when I recognized a familiar voice. Xavier and Jake noticed as well, and within a second, Brent and Campbell came running around the corner. David and Grace came right behind them. All of them with fear and panic covering their features.

"Oh my gosh! Joshua! Thank God!" Campbell practically slammed herself into me, holding me tightly as if I was going to disappear forever.

I hugged her back, relieved to see them. I thought I would never see them again. Brent hugged the both of us.

"I'm so sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry," I kept apologizing over and over as tears rolled down my cheeks.