𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝘂𝗻 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗰𝗹𝗼𝘂𝗱𝘀

VIII

" As sad as it sounds, nothing lasts forever. "

▬▬▬▬▬▬

LOOKING UP AT THE SKY and seeing a few fluffy clouds sliding over the bright blue canvas, Luffy leaned his head back and enjoyed the warmth of the sun on his face

It was almost noon and the birds were chirping in the trees around him, while he felt the grass and flowers beneath his fingers.

"Did you also look at the clouds as a kid and tried to see certain figures in them?"

With a smile on his lips, he turned to look at Law, who had laid down on the blanket they had brought along, eyes closed and his arms crossed behind his head.

Upon hearing Luffy's question, he opened one eye and looked up at the sky, his gaze fixating the clouds.

"No, not really. Is that normal during childhood?"

Luffy gave him a bewildered look and waited for him to tell him that that was a joke. But Law only rose a brow at him and his expression, waiting for an answer.

"Well, it was normal during mine. What did you do during your childhood?"

The strawhat turned his body so that he was sitting right next to him, being able to look at his face with a curious gaze.

Instead of answering right away, Law looked at the sky again, seeming unsure what to answer. Eventually, he sighed and said: "I mostly ran away from the Marines and other pirates when I was a child. And I learned how to use my powers. That took in most of my time."

Luffy thought for a moment, then, a gleaming smile appeared on his lips as he laid down next to Law, their shoulders touching as their bodies rested on the blanket on top of the soft grass.

"Then I'm honoured to be the first person to guess cloud forms with you."

Furrowing his brows, Law looked at the teen from the corner of his eyes, yet when he saw him raise his arm and point towards the sky, his gaze followed that direction.

"That cloud looks like a turtle."

He said those words with such confidence that Law had to make sure that it wasn't a joke, his eyes squinting a little as he observed the cloud.

"No it doesn't. I admit, the little, rounded parts on the side kind of look like legs, but there are only three of them. And you can't tell if it's a turtle or turtoise."

Luffy chuckled at that and started gesturing with his hands when his imagination took over.

"That doesn't matter, because it's not living on land or sea. It's a skytoise. Or skytle, doesn't matter. And who knows, maybe it lost that one leg while it tried to save one of its loved ones. And now it roams the sky to find its friends."