𝘅𝘅𝗶𝗶𝗶. 𝗻𝗼 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗱𝘀

XXIII

" to be totally honest,
Ikkaku cut them "

▬▬▬▬▬

IN AIMLESS CIRCLES, Luffy drew his spoon through the bowl filled with yogurt and fruits in his hand

It wasn't like he wasn't hungry, that scenario was too unlikely to happen.

It was just that his mind
was too busy thinking to really concentrate on the food in front of him.

He sat on the deck, hearing the heart pirates walking around as he stared into the bowl. He heard Ikkaku and Clione checking the walls of the ship, noting down material they still needed to fix a few small parts.

Margaret and the other Kuja warriors had managed to convince Hancock to give the Heart pirates some supplies for their journey to the next island and from the corner of his eye, Luffy noticed how Penguin, Bepo and Jean carried some food boxes on deck.

He would've offered his help, but helping them pack their things would've just made their departure faster.

At the moment, he thought about breaking another part of their ship on purpose, to make them stay longer, to buy just a little bit more time.

He knew the thought was egoistic. He couldn't have cared less.

The thought of Law leaving him burned in the pit of his chest, burned its way towards his lungs and up into his throat.

In a pathetic attempt to cool it down, he swallowed a portion of his yogurt.
Telling himself that it helped, he brought the spoon to his mouth once more, the taste of fruits exploding in his mouth barely reaching his brain.

He was about to lose himself in his thoughts again, but right before that, he heard the sound of familiar steps and automatically, he rose his head.

Law carried a box on his shoulder, Luffy saw the muscles of his arms stretching the textile of his short sleeved shirt.

It was hypnotizing.

Just like the pair of golden eyes resting on him after Law handed the box to Shachi and walked over towards the spot Luffy sat in.

Luffy felt his heart-beat accelerating. Even though there was nothing to be nervous about, his insides always got out of order when Law looked at him.

And it got even worse when a little smile tucked at his lips.

The cold bowl in his hands and the heat inside his chest were a cruel contrast, he didn't know which he felt more, switched between them, completely helpless, unable to say if it was cruel or beautiful to be so hopelessly lost when another human looked at you.

Law crouched down in front of him, looking at him with a calm smile.

"You alright?"

Luffy nodded, unable to stop the smile spreading on his own lips.

They just looked at each other, unable to tear their gazes away, smiling at each other like the lovestruck idiots they were.

Even when Law reached out with his hand and took the spoon from Luffy's hand, they looked at each other.

Luffy held his breath when tattooed fingers brushed his own and he still lost all oxygen when he watched how Law picked up a spoon with yogurt and fruits to bring it to his own mouth.

While chewing, the surgeon's smile seemed to grow a little.

"Wow, seems like you managed to cut them into actual cube forms this time."

His tease made Luffy scoff with a smile, before he snatched the spoon back from him.

"To be totally honest, Ikkaku cut them" he then admitted, light spreading inside of him when Law
let out an amused chuckle.

Then they looked at each other again and Luffy felt his heart sink, wishing that this could go on forever, that they could just stay like this.

His smile dropped the slightest bit and Law seemed to notice it.

"Want to go to the lake later?"

It only needed those words for Luffy to feel new, warm light inside of him. He nodded and lightly twitched, wanting to lean forward and wrap his arms around Law or take his hand.

But he reminded himself where they were, that they were surrounded by all the others and that he didn't know if Law was comfortable with letting them see such a vulnerable side of him.

And the thought that he was a vulnerability to Law somehow hurt him. He wanted to be his strength, not someone who could be a weakness.

So he just kept on looking at him, kept the smile on his face and wished he could tear his gaze away from the golden eyes in front of him.

Law returned his smile, then slightly changed his posture.

Luffy expected him to rise to his feet again, but instead, he noticed how he leaned his body forward, rising just a few inches.

And before he realized what was happening, he felt Law's lips gently resting on his.

The soft, short contact poured light into his veins and he gasped the slightest bit, continuing to look at Law as the older one pulled back.

Then he really rose to his feet, Luffy's eyes still glued to him.

"Alright, see you there in an hour" was all Law said, his smile staying on his lips, even when he turned around to head for the inside of the Polar Tang.

Luffy could only look at him until he was gone, noticing that the others around him were still busying themselves with preparations for departure, that everything was fine, that he was fine.

That no one minded. That Law didn't mind. That this was fine.

And then, the brightest smile took over his lips, his appetite was back and his breakfast seemed to taste way better out of a sudden.

a/n: sorry for the short chapter, this is just a little transition to the next one, which will be a lot longer and will be an introduction to the final parts c: