𝘅𝘅𝗶𝗶. 𝗿𝘂𝗻𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲

XXII

" stay for as long as it lasts. "

▬▬▬▬▬

AS HE SLOWLY WOKE UP and got aware of his surroundings, Law felt soft cushions resting against the bare skin of his upper body

It was dark inside his cabin, only a faint amount of moonlight made it possible for him to recognize a few shapes and blurred outlines.

With a light groan, he ran his fingers through his hair, felt burning thirst in his throat. It was warm in this night and even though he had taken a shower earlier, he felt a new thin layer of sweat on his back.

While grabbing the water bottle from the nightstand next to his bed, he looked down next to him, saw the faint outlines of Luffy's body curled up in the sheets, his back facing him.

Without turning his gaze away, he took a sip from the bottle and felt relief filling him when the cool liquid ran down his throat.

He reached out his free hand towards Luffy, found the back of his head and slowly ran his fingers through his hair, gently massaging his scalp.

It was a peaceful gesture, as soft as Law's hands could get. When he felt a slight shiver running through Luffy's body however, the smile forming on his lips quickly froze.

He put the bottle back to its spot on the nightstand, before he turned his body and moved closer towards Luffy.
As soon as he rested one hand on the younger one's arm, he felt how hard he trembled and suddenly, he heard the hitch in Luffy's breath, heard how it got harder and more unsteady.

“Hey. Are you awake?”

His voice was calm, but concerned, his hand caressing Luffy's upper arm, trying to soothe him as his breathing got harder.

He didn't get an answer, which was enough answer in itself. Law quickly reached behind himself with his arm, turned on the lamp to get a better view.

When he took another look at Luffy again, he saw how hard he was shivering, that his fingers dug into the linen beneath him.
He heard the sob leaving his lips and even though he already knew what this was about, a sharp pain spread in his chest at the name lowly echoing with Luffy's strained voice.

“Ace.”

Law pressed his lips together, the guilt of not being able to help properly burning in the pit of his stomach.
He wasn't sure what to do, still wasn't sure about anything, even though this wasn't the first nightmare Luffy had next to him.

He wished to do more, wished he could heal him better, faster. But he couldn't.

Therefore he only laid down next to Luffy, an arm wrapped around him to pull him closer towards his chest, his lips gently pushing against the spot beneath Luffy's ear.