Part 18

I looked at Erica, worried. 

"Call her! Find out whats going on!" she snapped. I fumbled with my phone, my sweaty fingers feverishly typing in Jessica's number. The phone rang once, twice, three times... 

"Ben?" Jessica sounded frantic.

"Hey! Whats going on?" 

"We just received intel that the CIA has mobilized  some of their top agents to come after us. Whats going on?!" I opened my mouth but couldn't think of an answer. Erica put her hand on mine and squeezed it. 

"Um- well I told you I was working as a double agent for you guys, pretending I'm still with the CIA. Well I told them that you wouldn't tell me your plans, only that I needed to meet you all at the studio in two weeks time at 1am to carry out the plan. I needed to act like I was getting some intel. I guess Erica called in a team without telling me. I'll take care of it." I lied. Jessica was silent. I held my breath, praying that she would believe it...

"Ok. I trust you. Thanks for clearing this up Ben. Maybe after the mission we could have dinner together? If you want." next to me Erica's eyes narrowed and I could feel her hand clenching mine, squeezing it so hard it felt like it might break. 

"Yeah that would be nice." I shook my head slightly at Erica, indicating I didn't mean it. She still looked mad though. "I have to go. See you tomorrow?" 

"Cant wait!" Jessica hung up. 

"Thank god." I sighed. Zoe was giggling.

"Erica- your jealous of Jessica! Again!" she laughed. The rage in Erica's eyes boiled over. She lunged for Zoe and flipped her over her shoulder. Zoe landed on the carpeted floor with a smash and groaned. 

"ERICA!" Catherine ran over and grabbed her daughters wrist. "that was unacceptable!" Erica yanked her hand away from her mom and ran out of the room. 

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" she snarled, slamming the door. I helped Zoe to her feet as Mike rushed over to check on her. 

"I am so so sorry Zoe." Catherine looked embarrassed. 

"Its fine." Zoe said, sitting down in Mikes lap on the couch. "just another day with Erica." 

"I'll be back in a minute." I said, rushing out of the room. I had to find Erica. I rushed through the lobby of the hotel, a realization coming to me. I knew where she would be. I quickly scaled the fire escape and found Erica leaning against the big Residence Inn sign Facing the parking lot. Her face was red. I rushed over and sat down next to her. She was quiet, but she leaned into me and laid her head on my shoulder.

"I'm just not ready to be myself for anyone but you." she said quietly. "I know I shouldn't have done that but I just- its so hard for me." 

"Hey. Its okay. I get it." I put my arm around her and let her cool down. 

"You are the best thing that ever happened to me." she whispered after a while.

"I love you Erica."

"I love you too."

***

After a long night of no sleep I was not ready whatsoever for taking down SPYDER at the karaoke lounge, but Erica got me up at 7am anyway to prepare. She was in full mission mode except for her outfit- a red and black plaid pleated skirt and a formfitting white cropped tee shirt with her long raven hair in Dutch braids. She also wore a pair of black boots. Stylish and normal but easy to fight or run away from the bad guys in. I wore a pair of black Adidas pants and a forest green tee shirt. Zoe wore a short and stylish mint green cocktail dress with white ballet flats and two sliver barrettes in her hair. Mike had on a pair of white Nike shorts and a red soccer teen shirt. Catherine wore a white blouse tucked into a blue, black and green plaid pleated skirt similar to Erica's. She had on sensible black flats and a gold heart shaped locket. We spent the day going over every possible scenario that we could think of. Then at 6pm we headed out, leaving for the Starlight Karaoke lounge. We pulled up out front ten minutes later and I got out first, heading inside. It was dark with disco lights and loud music playing over the mega sized speakers. I spotted the SPYDER team in the corner booth, Jessica waving me over. All I had to do was distract them from spotting my team until the CIA could show up to apprehend them. If they weren't there before Jessica planned to go up Erica would step in. I clicked on my earpiece as I approached the table.