Christmas without My Mom

It was December 25th and my first Christmas without my mom. I decided right then and there that I was going to be staying in bed until New Year's, I swear I was. My phone went off and I read the text message.

'Saint I am sorry to bother you, but I know that today must be extremely hard for you. Know that I am here for you. If you want to talk, please don't hesitate to contact me. I love you.'

Leave it to Damon to still be nice even though I broke up with him. I can't believe that he still loved me after everything. I decided that I couldn't deal with hearing his voice, it would be too hard, but I would send him a text back at least.

'Thank you for your concern, Damon, it means a lot to me. I hope you have a good holiday. Please take care.'

I put my phone down and laid my head back down and tried to go back to sleep. But I got back up and sent one more text to him.

'And I love you too.' 

I'm sorry, I know that I shouldn't have sent that but, I just wanted him to know I still cared. I put my phone back on my dresser before I lay back down and tried to go back to sleep.

I heard a knock on my door. Katie came in and sat on my bed.

 "Listen I know this is rough for you but are you sure that you don't want to come out and spend some time with us?"

 I turned my head towards her. "No, I'm sorry but I think I will lay right here for today. Please don't let me ruin your Christmas and go be with your family." I laid my head back down and I heard Katie sigh. But then she got up. When she got to the door she hesitated.

 "You're my family too Saint. Just so you know."

Then she closed the door, and I felt the first flow of tears start to fall. I don't know how long I was in there but then there was another knock at my door. I lifted my head just enough to call out. "Katie, please I don't want to come out." 

 Then my door opened only it was Shane, not Katie. I let my head fall back down. "Katie called you, didn't she?" He shook his head. 

 "No, I know today must be hard for you, so I thought I'd come to lend my support."

I sat up and looked at Shane. "Thank you but I don't need support right now. And as rude as this is going to sound, I don't need company either." 

 Shane sat down on the side of my bed and looked at me. "Saint, this is the first Christmas without your mom. No one will judge you for being sad, but that doesn't mean you have to turn into a recluse today." 

 I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know what you are talking about. I am perfectly fine, just want to be lazy and stay in bed is all. Shouldn't you be with your family anyways, I mean it is Christmas."

Shane stood up and turned to look at me. "I'm sorry for what I'm about to say but it is time for some tough love. Please don't hate me after what I'm about to say." I sat up and placed my back against the headboard a little curious and nervous about what he was going to say.

"Saint, last year at Christmas time you were at a party your mom threw with a red and green dress code and awesome displays. Last year you danced with your friends and had a great time. Last year although he wasn't there, you were in a relationship with a guy who loved you and you were in love with him too."

I moved to the edge of the bed and looked down. "Shane please stop." He just shook his head and kept going. 

 "No Saint, your mom is gone, and this is the first time you're living her favorite holiday without her. She wouldn't want you to sulk through the whole thing and you know it. She would want you out there celebrating and making new memories with your friends."