Chapter 12

Chapter 12: A New School

Laura Crawford was going to boarding school in England. Laura's father Rafael Crawford moved to India when Laura was a baby. Laura's mother died when she was a baby. Laura loves her father very much. Laura was going to miss her father. Laura loves to read and write stories. Laura was hoping that she would be able to become a writer when she became an adult. Laura was only six years old, but she was smart for her age. Laura only has one friend. Laura's friend's name was Mary Hatching.

The next day Laura and her father went to England. The trip was long and Laura was tired. They stay at a hotel before going to boarding school. Tomorrow they were going shopping. The boarding school was letting Laura have a dog. Laura always wanted a dog. Laura went to sleep. Rafael felt bad for not telling Laura she was adopted. Rafael wants to tell her, but he does not know how to. It made Rafael angry that King Victor has not written once to ask about Sara.

The next day Laura and her father went shopping. Laura got her dog. Laura's dog was a Löwchen. Laura loves her dog. Rafael got Laura a lot of clothes and books for school. Rafael and Laura had dinner. Later, Rafael took Laura to the boarding school and Miss Read was headmistress. Miss Parker was another teacher that works in the school. Laura could tell that Miss Read and Miss Parker were mean teachers. Rafael left and Laura went to her room. Laura named her dog Missy. Laura got a maid. The maid's name was Becky. Becky was fourteen years old. Becky did not have any parents. Becky's mother dies in childbirth. Laura was not mean to Becky. Most of the students and teachers were mean to Becky. Miss Read did not feed Becky very well. Becky's room was in the attic. The attic was very cold. Becky could not believe how beautiful Laura's clothes were. Laura was thinking about her dad and she really misses him.

The next day in class Laura was working on her French. Miss Read was surprised that Laura knew how to speak French. Miss Read was rude to Laura, but Laura was not afraid of Miss Read. Miss Read was afraid of Laura. Sebastian Walker was in Laura's class. A lot of students thought Sebastian was weird. Sebastian sits right next to Laura. A girl named Annette did not like Laura. Laura heard Annette talking about her. Laura did not care if Annette did not like her. Annette's brother Daniel was a good person and he was nice to Laura. Laura saw this girl crying. "Hello, my name is Laura Crawford. What is your name?" Laura asks. "My name is Jenny Plumb. Miss Read is giving me a hard time because I cannot speak French," Jenny replied. "I can help you. My mom was French," Laura replied. "Thank you, Laura. You, Daniel, and Sebastian are the only students that are nice to me. All the other students think I am dumb and ugly," Jenny replied. "You are not dumb or ugly. I would like for us to be friends if you want to?" Laura requested. "I would like that," Jenny replied happily.