18: Delays

Streams of lights passed your vision like a time warp, somehow looking familiar whilst also maintaining the sense of anonymity that this foreign city had for you. Deep inside, you knew that you should've reached your hotel a few miles back, but now you were pulling into an unfamiliar location, eyes half shut and completely vulnerable as Toto drove - one hand on the wheel, the other on your thigh - into this parking lot.

"I brought you to my hotel... I hope that's alright with you?" he softly asked, maintaining that military-esque focus on his driving as you struggled to stay awake.

Without saying anything, you managed to confirm that you were fine with his redirection of plans, and let your eyes come to a steady rest, "I'm exhausted," you murmured, softly relaxing your entire body to the embrace of fatigue.

Not that you could see, but Toto was sneaking a look at you from the corner of his eyes, seeing you curled up in your still damp clothing whilst hugging your arms to preserve the warmth was enough to create a burning instinct deep in his stomach. He had never felt this inclined to protect someone in his entire life.

He switched the heating on.

The warmth from the heating ducts wrapped around you like a long forgotten friend, playing with your hair and drying you from the swim earlier on. You welcomed it, let it completely course around you and protect you from the cold air outside as Toto parked the car and switched the ignition off.

"Will you be able to walk up?" He asked, running his thumb under your jaw whilst his fingers rooted in your hair, "Or do you want me to carry you up?" His voice was calm and collected whilst he undid his seatbelt and stretched his back.

Your eyes fluttered open, revealing Toto pulling a jumper out of the back seat and preparing to put it over you to add some extra warmth to your already frozen body.

He got out of the car and made his way around to where you were sat, unbuckling your seatbelt so that he could easily hook his arm under your knees. The joints clattered against his shoulder whilst he cradled you, now bracing himself to carry you back to the hotel room.

"You're pretty," you mumble, eyes draping over the fluffiness of Toto's hair, "Can I touch your hair?"

He chuckles, waltzing through the entryway and turning your head away from the excited looking Concierge. Toto walks with you almost with ease, not even struggling with the extra weight you provide for him whilst he presses the elevator button.

You let your head acquaint itself with the crook of his armpit, breathing in his cologne whilst you allowed all the weight to dissipate from your body. You struggled with your eyes to stay awake - after all, your mother would condemn you for going into a hotel room if she knew all the context between whatever this was between you and your superior.

He carried you into the lift, where you fell asleep almost as easy as you fell for Toto Wolff.

-

This time, when you woke up, the other side of the bed was warm and full of life with Toto lightly snoring whilst laid on his back. You couldn't remember how you'd ended up in his bed, but the fact you were wearing one of his T shirts along with a pair of his boxers. His arms were wrapped around you tight, protecting you from the darkness of the night whilst he slept.

His heartbeat was strong and steady against your cheek as you flicked your wrist out in front of you to check the time.

8:49am

And your flight... was at 6am...

"Shit!" You cursed, shooting up and out of the bed whilst Toto rubbed the sleep from his eyes.