36: Abu Dhabi

After spending two months of your life in England, in between races and laying your mother to rest, you'd somehow managed to find someone new and intriguing to date. His name was Joe, a six foot four army medic with a dangerous wit about him. He was handsome, a little rugged around the edges from his many accidents, but he had saved your life since he wandered into your front yard drunk two months ago.

"I heard there's a Gala dinner happening tonight," he introduced himself into the kitchen, the sleeves of his shirt rolled around his elbows as he read the morning's newspaper, "Christian mentioned it on our run this morning," Joe sipped his coffee and took a deep breath of the aroma of breakfast you were conjuring up.

You sighed, setting the pan down on the counter, "Is it for more teams or just Red Bull?" Your voice was barely a ghost of what it had been the other night, when you'd seen Ryan again for the first time since your argument.

Joe sighed, "I think it's for most of the teams," he sipped his cup of coffee and set it on the table. "We don't have to go but it'd be good if you did," he cracked his knuckles.

"We should probably go, it'll be good to see everyone again," You said smiling. You didn't actually want to go, but you knew that it would be good to see Toto one last time before telling him you moved on. There was nothing you wanted more than for this to be all over.

Joe cleared his throat, "Come on then, if we want to catch the plane in time, we should hurry," you looked at him with wide eyes, "Darling we're going to Abu Dhabi," his words settled a funny feeling in your gut, making you nervous of what would happen whilst being over there, so far from home.

-

"It's so lovely to see you again," Max Verstappen embraced you in a bear hug, tucking your forehead into his neck, "Did you hear the news about Toto?" he asked.

Your stomach churned, "What about him?"

"Him and Susie are expecting another child," Max told you and smiled innocently. He didn't know the pain he was causing you, but Jack on your arm was enough to soothe you.

He knew roughly about what had happened between the pair of you. In fact, your first date had consisted of Jack mentioning how you'd been in the news about dating him.

"I'm happy for him," You lied. You weren't happy for him at all. You wanted him to suffer as much as you had these past months. He hadn't even checked in you once.

You looked around the darkened room, the music drowning out most of the chatter and Jack excused himself as Toto approached you and Max. Max left near immediately, dissolving from your side and following Jack to the bar area.

"Toto," You nodded politely and went to walk after the pair, but Toto stopped you, his grip circling his arm. "What?" you seethed.

His brow softened, his dark brown hair falling in front of his face as he looked younger somehow. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry for everything," he urged, letting go of your arm and towering over you, "I'm back with Susie,"

"I know." You butted in, "You didn't call me."

"I tried," He said, though you heavily doubted it. "None of my letters got through, and I stopped after a few months."

You jutted your hip out and put your hand on your hip, "Toto, I'm not being funny but I waited long enough for you, and I'm happy now without you," you told him, "Me and Jack are happier than I ever could be with you," your voice was raised and it attracted the attention of a few other Formula One drivers and Team Principals alike.

"You don't mean that," He softened his voice.

"You left me, Toto," you cried, "You used me and then when you'd had enough, you discarded me like a piece of trash,"

His face changed into a reaction that looked sad, "I never used you," his voice was irritated and coarse, "I never fucking used you and we both know it."

You nodded, "Jack knows about you," you spat, crossing your arms across your chest, "I'm done with you Toto, the only thing you told me was how to grow up and not go for men like you."

His lip quivered, "I love you,"

You took a step back, half in disbelief and half wanting to run away from him, "It'll pass," you said and walked off towards Jack who was by the bar.

You told him you were leaving, and so you left.

Leaving Toto Wolff and the world of Formula One in the past...