-3-

If the cause of death is written within the next 40 seconds of writing the person's name, it will happen.

Another day of wanting to end it all.

"You're late." I didn't look up from the textbook in front of me to know who was standing in the near distance. "Aren't you a sight for sore eyes?" I ignored his comment as I pulled out the rest of the textbooks. "You were supposed to be on time, that just goes to show what your priorities are."

"Cut me some slack, I'm not as organized as you are, Katsuki." I hated hearing my name come out of his mouth. I could L sitting in the distance, watching us like a hawk. He had taken the entrance exams as well, passing right under Light given my first place presence.

L was genuinely proud of me, something I had rarely ever experienced unless it was from my mother.

As Light pulled his books out, a small piece of paper fell from his bag. He seemed completely oblivious to it. I tried my hardest to ignore it before it became a distraction. Maybe it was something important like a phone number or classroom information.

"You dropped a paper." I used the pen in my hand to gesture towards the floor. "How longs that been there?" He asked, picking it up. "About thirty minutes, I didn't care at first." What made you change your mind?"

"I thought it was something important to you, I didn't want you to lose it." He seemed to enjoy my concern for such a small issue. "Thank you, Katsuki. I appreciate it." That smirk never left his face.

"I think that's enough, the library is gonna close soon given the time." Light took a quick glance at his watch, most likely not even reading it. "I could walk you home if you like?"

"I'll be fine, Yagami. I know how to get home on my own. Have a nice night." Watari was parked a block away. I kept my eyes peeled for a specific brunette-haired boy before getting in. "Any new information?"

"Nothing important. He was oddly thankful for a piece of paper I told him he dropped." Watari hummed in response as he pulled off. "I'll bring it up to L."

"How is he? I miss my Lollipop." I hadn't seen L for at most a day or two, but I had gotten so used to spending every day after school with him. "He's fine. He works the case nonstop, you know how he gets." Indeed I did.

For the first time in a long time, I found my father at home with the rest of our family. "Dad!" His arms instantly wrapped around me as we made eye contact. "When did you get back?" Dad was on a trip to the states for business. "A few hours ago. Where have you been?" I looked across the room towards Kiyoshi and mom.

"Come on, let's go to my office." Mom and Yoshi had no idea of me being on this case. They weren't allowed to know, orders set in place by L himself. "L has me spying on Light Yagami."

"He told me today that he put surveillance in his room." I had no clue of this and showed on my face. "L's been making me get close with Light in order to uncover if he is Kira. So far, I've gotten nowhere."

"You're highly intelligent, Katsuki. You always have been my smart girl, do not underestimate the power you hold to help solve this case."

"Look what I've brought you, Lawliet!" L loved sweets, so his eyes lit up at the sight of him. He grabbed the basket out of my hand, letting just the ghost of a smile appear on his mouth. "Thank you, Kitty." He unwrapped a lollipop as expected.

I sat down next to him, observing the many cameras in Light's house. "Are you sure this is necessary, Lollipop? Light doesn't seem like the type of person to be Kira." L stayed quiet for a little before responding, causing a sort of tension to arise between us.

"Why did you muffle your mic the first night at Lights house?" I felt my heart drop to my stomach, not being sure of how I should answer his question. "He asked something personal, something you wouldn't exactly want to hear."

"May I ask what it was? If it is important to the case I'd-"

"It's nothing, Lawliet. And I'm guessing Watari told you about that piece of paper?" He nodded his head in response, seemingly no longer interested in the topic of Light and I. I had no interest in the tension that was beginning to form, either.

"I'll talk to you later, Lollipop." I decided that walking was better than sitting in silence with Watari again. But before I could get out of the building, I caught a glimpse of my dad and some of his associates. "Katsuki, come here for a second!"

"Yes, dad?" He gestured to the man around him. "I would like you to meet some visiting colleagues from the states. This is my daughter, she's been helping with the Kira case and will be studying criminal justice this fall at To-Oh University."

They were all seemingly impressed by this. "I take it your daughter is very smart, yes? She looks it. I want to make her an offer she won't be able to refuse."

"She's still young, please, give her some time, James." I stopped my father. I wanted to hear this guy out. "You've worked on many other cases before, yes?" I nodded my head as confirmation. "And you've helped solve each of them given your skill in detective work, right?"

"You're right. What are you getting at?"

"We have a special training facility where we're located at. Since you are in Japan, we're willing to bring our trainers to you. We want you to become an official part of our team. With a little extra training, you'll be the world's most renowned agent." He couldn't be serious. I was going to college in the fall while still working on the Kira case.

"We'd pay for your college, of course, and make sure you stay on top of your classes. Education is very important. We'll need you to sign off, of course. There's some fine print you'd need to read as well, we'll give you time to think about it."

How has so much managed to happen in the span of a few weeks?