-8-

One page taken from the Death Note, or even a fragment of the page, possesses the full power of the note.

Katsuki sat opposite of one of her soon-to-be bosses. She watched as he swirled the dark liquid inside his drink, pressing the glass to his mouth as he took a small and long sip from it. "There's something very intriguing about you, Ms.Hinata."

"Oh, you can call me Katsuki." He simply smiled. But he was blocking his true emotions in the process. "Katsuki, where did you see yourself before you got this wonderful opportunity?"

She gave herself time to think before answering the question, "I saw myself graduating from college at the top of my class and a degree in criminal justice. I was going to officially join the task force and build my way up to the top just like my father once did."

He cleared his throat, setting his glass down on the side table next to him. "I'm going to be honest with you for a second, Katsuki. Those are amateur dreams." She felt her ego and dreams turn to dust and ashes as he went on.

Katsuki had this dream since she was younger, and the moment she spoke about it, it was invalidated in an instant. She felt like a fool at that moment. "You've already done some amazing work here, Katsuki. You've proven how strong-minded and hard-working you are. You'd be very... Useful for us."

"I'd do whatever I can to help bring people to justice, James." That smile was still plastered on his face, making Katsuki shift uncomfortably in her seat. He rested himself next to her, eagerly placing his hand on her knee. "That's good that you're willing. That's very good."

While Katsuki was naive, she wasn't oblivious or stupid. She noticed the signs, and she took action as fast a possible. "I think I'm gonna head back to the apartment-"

"Not so fast." He pulled her back to him, his grip on her arm becoming tighter by the second. "I'm just trying to have a polite conversation, please, take a seat." As I said before, Katsuki was naive. And at the time, she was too naive for her own good.

James walked towards the bar, taking his time with the drink he was making. "Here, this will calm you down." Katsuki had never dranken before, but she took it anyway. She was with someone she could trust... Right?

"You've got some great folks at home, you know? A loving mother, a hard-working father, and that adorable little sister of yours. Kiyoshi, right? Yeah, she's a precious little girl." Katsuki paused at the mention of her little sister. She sat her drink down, once again feeling uncomfortable.

She felt like she was watching the scene unfold from outside of her body, feeling tunnel vision and fuzziness overcome her. "What's going on?"

"You said you were willing Katsuki, your word means everything to me." The voices of several other men filled the room as they began towering over her, taking shots and lighting cigarettes.

"James..." The hands of others touched her in places you couldn't imagine. The smell of liquor and cigarettes lingered for minutes before she was dead weight.

My hands clutched the desk in front of me, feeling anger build and boil up the longer I lingered on the thought of my training.

I took the death note out of its designated drawer, running my fingers over the precious cover. Flipping through the pages, I found the furthest blank spot, one that Light wouldn't reach for a while. I ripped a slip out of it, folding it and placing it in my pocket. "What do you plan on doing with that?"