-6-

This note shall become the property of the human world, once it touches the ground of the human world. 

L's POV.

The room was crowded with each member of the task force. Katsuki sat distant from everyone else, observing the room around her, reading the body language of every last person. She was critical and had fast-thinking skills now. She was more analytical than a highly intelligent AI program. 

Matsuda let out a huff, seemingly irritated by something. She didn't pay it any mind until he began to speak. "Why have you been spending so much time with Light Yagami, Katsuki?" 

She sat quiet, staring deeply into his eyes, seemingly intimidating him. "What are you trying to say about my daughter?" Katsuki stood up, placing a hand on her father's shoulder. He cleared his throat, putting some slight distance between the two of them. 

"Is there a problem, Matsuda?" Her voice was soft like silk and as sweet as candy. But the glare written on her face showed that she wasn't as sweet as her voice was. She stared him down, not blinking once during the silence. 

"I'm interested as well, Katsuki. You've spent an awful lot of time with Light, it makes me wonder if you're putting your feelings over your task." Her attention turned to me. His facial expression never changed though. "You know me better than anybody in this room, Lawliet. Which means you would know that I would never mix work and my personal life, not that any of you have given me the chance to have one."

"That doesn't-" She quickly cut Matsuda off. "You're the least experienced person on this task force, Matsuda. I suggest you keep quiet while I speak... I am simply following my orders to keep an eye, and get close, to Light Yagami. If any of you have a problem with that, take me off the force. But the moment you do that is the same moment this case falls flat." 

༻❁༺

Lights POV.

"I'm just not so sure If I can trust her." Ryuk was bothering me about Katsuki for some reason. He never really cared about anyone involved before, that was until now. "What's the history with you two? Last time I remembered, you were telling me just how much you hated her." 

"We've been enemies since we were kids, always fighting for the same spot in life. I suspected her at first to be a double age for the task force, but now I'm not so sure about that... She seems too loyal to me. She's changed, I'm just not sure If her change was good or bad." 

Ryuk sat for a moment as if there was anything to think about. "You and she are alike, you know?  You're both very smart, determined and a bunch of other big words I can't pronounce. And as much as that's something good for the two of you, it could end badly." I had never thought of things in that sense. 

Ryuk was right, we were too much alike for our own good. Just because we're loyal to each other right now, doesn't mean we will be in the end. "I still don't trust her.

༻❁༺

Katsuki's POV.

"You two are just so silly!" I sat with Kiyoshi and Sayu at the kitchen table. Lights mother had asked me to tutor Sayu in my free time and I just couldn't bear to say no to her. His mother was a kind soul. "Hey, Katsuki?" 

"Please, Sayu, call me Kitty. We've known each other way too long for you to still call me Katsuki. But what it is?" She thought for a little bit as if she didn't have an answer in the first place. "Can we have some snacks? I'm starving

I grabbed some cookies from the cabinet, laying them on a plate in front of the girls. As I poured the milk into their glasses, my phone began to bling throughout the house. "Hold on girls." I quickly went into the other room given the unknown number.

"Hello?" I answered. "Hi, is this Katsuki Hinata?" 

"Yes, this is she. May I ask who's calling?" 

"I'm calling on behalf of your mother from the hospital. She suffered a heart attack, you were in her emergency contacts in her phone along with your father who we've already called." 

I hadn't felt much in the time I've been back. But at this moment, I felt everything around me break and crash down. I felt frozen in time as I hung the phone up. 

I shot out of the room, grabbing all of our things and rushing the girls to my car. "Where are we going?" Yoshi asked. "Just... Don't worry about it right now." 

༻❁༺

Light and my father stood in the waiting room, seemingly clueless to any information about my mother. I sat the girls down near my dad and pulled Light aside. I searched the area, making sure nobody was around when I began to question him. 

I needed information, I needed to know this wasn't him. 

"How are you holding up?" I hated sympathy. I hated seeing him look sad for me. "Tell me this wasn't you, Light! Tell me you didn't do this to my mother!" He was shocked by my sudden outburst. "I wouldn't do this to you, Katsuki-"

"No, I don't know that! What trust do we truly have for each other? And given your certain status, I wouldn't doubt you'd do something like this to scare me into submission." Light placed his hands on my shoulders, and I tried my hardest not to kill him right then and there. 

"I would never harm your family. You may be at my disposal, but your family was and has never been a part of our deal. I'm not even sure if I'd be able to harm you, even if you betrayed me." He was actually being genuine... I had never seen Light like this before. 

I felt all of those emotions release as I fell into his, holding onto him for dear life as the tears began to pour and I could no longer be the strong young woman I had become. 

Light was beginning to break down walls of his own as he watched the girl in front of him break. He had never seen this side of her, but he was glad he did. He didn't see this as an advantage against her, but rather, something he thought he needed to help her with. 

Light saw this moment as an opportunity to get to know the woman he saw as his enemy. 

༻❁༺

"You will be taking a break from the case effective immediately, Katsuki. You should grieve your mother the right way." His monotone voice wasn't helpful in my current state of consciousness. I had spent the next few days with L even though I wasn't allowed to work on the case, not that I even wanted to in the first place. 

I needed someone who would be there for me, and dad for sure wasn't one of those people. I checked up on Yoshi now and again, but for the most part, I spent the rest of my time off the case sulking in the dark embrace of Light.

"We've accomplished a lot while you've been staying with me, Katsuki. That's something you should be proud of." My mother died in the same way we were killing criminals, there was no way I could be proud right now. "I just can't bring myself to, Light." His hand rubbed up and down my arm I laid in his lap.

We weren't close, per se, but Light was more comforting than Lawliet could ever be to me. "I need a favor." I sat up, finally looking him in his eyes for the first time today. "I need you to find who did this to my mother, and I want them dead."