-9-

"They say there are five stages of grief: Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Well, I'd like to add one more. Revenge." -Cruella Devil.

I thought it was foolish to take a quote from a fictional Disney villain and truly believe in it. That was until I realized just how true it was. You see, I had skipped through the line of fire when it first happened and went straight to anger before I landed on depression. But acceptance? If you truly thought I would ever accept the fact that my mother was gone, you were wrong.

I skipped that stage and went straight to revenge. And oh, was it sweet. My plan was going to work, and I was sure of it.

Lawliet sat across from me, the sun beaming on his face, causing it to glow bright and beautiful. I had missed out on so much quality time with the latter that I was beginning to miss him. I decided that breakfast was the quickest and most effective make up for missed time.

He was enjoying himself an awful lot, taking enormous pride in the amazing syrup on the table. L loves sweets, and I needed to sugarcoat my intentions.

As always, I observed my surroundings and the people in them. To the right were businessmen and women, talking about. something that seemed important. I didn't care much for that, though. But to the end of the room, there sat a couple. There was clearly trouble in paradise, thankfully I had my feelings on pause.

"I want you back on the case, Kitty." I could feel irritation manifesting itself inside of me. I had no interest in this topic at the moment, nor the topic of Kira. That's all my focus has been on lately, I needed a break, or even better, a vacation.

"You mean you need me back on the case. Was your decision of taking me off not so logical after all, Lawliet?" He stiffened at the thought of being wrong. Lawliet hated being wrong.

"Not exactly. We've done some great work without you, but I still suspect Light Yagami of being Kira. We currently have Misa Amane detained if you would like to go see her, I figured you could get something out of her that I can't."

I liked the idea he was leading with, but then again, Misa had no recollection of the death note or even anything that happened when it was in her possession. "I had a conversation with your father." Well of course he did. He spoke to the man instead of speaking to me directly, how... typical.

"And what exactly was said conversation about?" I was highly irritated by this time. I wanted nothing more than to go home or be anywhere but here. "I thought you were comprised at first, given your current... Relationship with Light Yagami. Your father only had spoken the same words as you once did."

"I can't tell if this is an apology or if you're implying something." L tapped his finger on the table, I had seemingly made him nervous. "So tell me, Lawliet, what exactly are you saying?"

"You're simply following orders and doing the job you were assigned: Getting close to Light Yagami to earn a confession from him." That, I had already done. Not that I was going to tell L that. "I'm apologizing, Katsuki." And you have one hell of a way of showing it, Lawliet.

"Since you clearly need me on this case, I'll accept. But I have a few terms."

Not a single ounce of remorse or sympathy ran through my veins for the blonde-haired girl. She looked tired and dull to others, but to me, it was perfect for a false confession. A few of the task force members stared as I stood watching her, obviously confused about my return.

"Aizawa will escort you to the room." The man groaned at the statement of L's. As we walked through the hallways in silence, the only sound being my heels clicking against the tile, he spoke below his breath, "I don't see why he let you back here."

"You lack social skills, Aizawa. I'm right here, you know? You could've easily voiced your irrational opinion and concerns straight to me, but instead, you whispered it to yourself as if I wouldn't hear."

I could see the fear strike his body as he listened to the sweet sound of my voice, but stared at the menacing look on my face. "I hope you can learn to at least accept my place here with the task force." The nerve-racking sound of my black pumps made Misa shoot awake as I walked through the door.

"Hello Ms.Amane, I am Katsuki."

Red silk leaked from open sleeves as dead weight laid in front of me. Her chest rose and fell slowly as our time had finally come to an end. I admired how strong she was being after pleading for her life. The confession that left her lips filled me with butterflies and tranquility.

"Watari, please have someone clean her up before she's put in cuffs." Watari was a serious and logical man, one who never showed fear. That was until now. I watched as the older man flinched as I walked past him, making my way back to the raven-haired boy.

My eyes landed on a specific brunette as confusion washed over me. Had he watched the entire scene unfold? Or had he only just gotten here?

"You did an amazing job Katsuki. But, I still suspect Light Yagami as Kira. There were two, after all." I could feel my body temperate heighten as my blood began to boil. My plan was only slightly effective in the end. I had failed.

Light volunteered himself for confinement being the mad man he is. I didn't exactly agree with this decision, but in this specific situation, I had no other choice but to let him do it. "Can I help you with something?" I felt the presence of someone next to me.

"You're not going to let him do this, are you?" I wanted to reassure Light's father, but couldn't bring myself to do so in the long run. "Your son offered, there is nothing I can do after a definitive decision is executed by someone with free will."