C H A P T E R 7

— • —

Chapter 7: The Chaotic Town of Yingren; Hidden Slave Auction Part 3

A loud banging on the door resonated again, followed by a loud shout coming from a man's voice.

"Hey, old hag! Open up! Unlock this, or we'll destroy this door!"

Xin Yue took a glance at the lock on the doorknob and then shifted his gaze to the open window from the back. He took a tip-toed quickstep to the old lady and dragged her in front of the open window.

"Old lady, you go first on the passage that you were talking about earlier. I'll go next after I bring my companion back to the inn."

The old lady's face paled, and she abruptly shook her head. "No! I can't bear to be selfish and save my sinned self at this time! Run away, young man! This old lady has sinned enough and has barely time left. I go talk to the slave auction master's subordinate while you escape."

Xin Yue shook his head, and the banging knock became even louder, making the lock on the door loosen a little. "Please, old lady. I promise I will be back. I might be a normal person to you, but I'm stronger than you think. I have already survived many challenges unscratched," he said as he let out a proud smile.

The old lady's heart melted as she said the smile that reminded her of her son, who was sold as a slave a few years ago. She couldn't hold back her grief and let her tears flow nonstop again, like a surging waterfall that fell uncontrollably.

The old lady raised her trembling, frail hand and caressed Xin Yue's face as she smiled. "I'm sorry, young man, but even if I escape from here, I have nothing to go anyway. This house is the former pavilion where I and my son resided. I can't bear to drown in my selfish desires and leave this place that holds countless memories."

Xin Yue's body stiffened from the old lady's touch. His grandma never touched her like this, but he sometimes felt it when he was fast asleep, like a warm hand comforting his heart and soul, full of care and love. Xin Yue sighed and let the old lady sit down on the bamboo chair beside the window. He then grabbed a chain from the drawers that had shackled him earlier and locked the door in a more secure way.

A banging knock resonated the door even more. "OLD HAG! I'LL TELL MASTER ABOUT THIS! DON'T EXPECT THAT MASTER WILL SPARE YOU THIS TIME!!!"

Xin Yue rolled his eyes, got out of the window, and jumped on the roof. He crawled forward to the front side of the large house and glanced at the two men dressed in fine clothes outside, one holding an unsheathed sword in his hand and stammering behind the other, who had a sword on his waist, and banging the door loudly.

"OLD HAG!!! COME OUT OR WE'LL TELL MASTER!"

"HAHAHAHA!" The two men were startled, and both their gazes went up to the roof. They saw Xin Yue leisurely laughing at them while he was sitting on top of the roof, his chin resting on his hand, and looking at the two men like they were a joke.

"You—the best slave! Get down here!" the man who was banging the door yelled while glaring at Xin Yue furiously, unsheathing his sword and pointing the tip of its blade at him.

Xin Yue was looking like a calm and sly person outside, but he was actually scared to the point that he'd piss his pants inside while seeing two words pointed at him. But since his life and the old lady's life are on the line, he managed to swallow his fear and remain calm at the moment.