chapter sixteen

3rd Person POV

"Our business is literally going under a financial crisis and there's nothing left to do with it unless we have Angela marry the Lins." said Mr. Liu. "But we have to think of a way to convince Angela to marry the son of the Lins."

"As far as I remember, he studies in the same school with Angela! That's even wonderful. And we have hopes in having our business revived as long as the two are married." said Mrs. Liu. "But we can't yet, since Angela's is just seventeen and she's not even legal to marry someone yet. What will she think? We can't force her into that though! And not to mention, she has to take the STIC very soon!"

"Never mind," said Mr. Liu with a sense of ignorance in his tone. "We'll talk this over after her STIC. If we have more money, then we could raise Angela at ease. If not, what could we do? We can't lose our faces and our reputation just because of this! We'll go bankrupt and where could we go afterwards? Working as penniless farmers?"

Mrs Liu inhaled an uneasy breath and sighed. "I guess. So maybe we'll ask Angela out and arrange a formal dinner session between the Lins."

"Sounds great. I'll call her and inform her about it then." said Mr Lin as he drew out his phone. But all calls returned unanswered. He furrowed his brows in frustration and sighed.

"If she couldn't listen to my calls, then what is the purpose of giving her a mobile phone, then?" asked Mr. Liu. "Never mind, I'll just text the Lins first."

-

Angela's POV

I was the first to wake up among the quartet and I slowly rose from the couch. Brett slightly flinched in his sleep and I widened my eyes in shock, afraid that I might have woke him from his sleep. But as he continued with his slumber, I headed to the washroom to take a shower and to brush my teeth.

After that, I turned on my phone and my face turned into shock and terror when I found out I have received 10 missed calls from Dad.

"Shit!" I yelled. I'm dead meat this time. Missing calls from Dad is certainly a horrible thing. So I decided to call him back. He answered my call shortly after.

"Hello?" I asked in a very groggy voice. "Sorry Dad for missing your calls, because I was at Cynthia's and went to sleep early last night."

"Angela? Do you have any idea how worried your Mom and I were last night to find you not at home? And why are you still sleeping over at Cynthia's? You're supposed to either practice or stay at home and study during this period! Why are you still hanging out with your friends in a carefree state as if you didn't have to bother about anything?" asked Dad, irritated. "And you know, I could choose not to answer your calls as you didn't answer mine last night. I should have gave you a taste on your own medicine to feel how does it feel like to have your calls unanswered when you're so desperately looking for someone."

"Yea, I'm sorry, and I understand that." I said through gritted teeth. Why does he suddenly care so much? As if he cares. What he usually cares is his work and money. And nothing else. Hence, we DID practice last night at Eddy's, plus I really did study! How do you even know what I usually do at home or at school while you're not at home 24/7? Why do you automatically jump into conclusions?

"Please return home. NOW." demanded Dad. "I don't care if the others are still sleeping or not, but I need you to be home. NOW. You hear me?"

"Yes," I muttered, while shaking internally. I wonder what have I done to have him so triggered and pissed off. But I'm pretty sure I did nothing, so I decided to take a deep breath. However, since Brett, Cynthia and Eddy are still in deep sleep, I decided to shoot them a text that I will be leaving first.