When Lovers Hearts Command

That night I didn't sleep. The echos of my thought kept me awake and my memories kept me occupied. I knew I was never the best girlfriend to Jack, but I did everything in that time to pursue a normal life. Jack was the only other person who knew of my condition. Was it cruel of me to never indulge him? Was I the only reason we didn't work out?

Nothing kept these thought bonded to the dark, corners of my head. Instead they all emerged. But reading that letter over again gave me insight, now I knew it wasn't really Jack's choice to leave me, he had to. And now I had to find out why.

Work had less meaning than usual today. Everybody seemed to ignore me and for once, I didn't mind. My thought were consumed by Jack, whose letter had a underlying meaning.

Suddenly driven out of my trance as I hear the ring of the bell, telling a presence was near. And for the first time I found myself wishing it was somebody other than Declan. I found myself wishing for Jack Rogers. But I was quickly disappointed when I saw Declan face as my smile quickly fell.

"We need to talk" he whispers carelessly as I sigh. I found myself partially hating this man, but it could never be justified. The pain of once caring for him.

"I'm at work" I respond as I neatly place the coffee pot on the counter. But suddenly it didn't matter where I was, as Declan's hand wrapped around my hand, leading me to the storage room. "What part of I'm at work do you not understand?" I ask him, angrily as I see a blank expression cloud his face.

"Is it true?" He ask me vaguely as I smirk.

"Is what true?" I answer his question within my own.

"THAT YOU CAN FEEL?" He yells as my smirk falls. That same blank expression that clouded his face suddenly made home to mine. "Is it?" He ask me as I plainly shrug my shoulders. "Is that all you are going to say?" He ask me, "Just a shoulder shrug" he complains as I can't seem to answer him with any more.

Was he even worthy of knowing?

"I can" I struggle to say. "Is that all you want to know?" I ask him angrily.

"And I had to find this out through your brother?" He ask as I sigh. It was Wright.

"What did he say?" I ask, prying.

"He told me it was my fault that you were heartbroken for three months! If I every came near you again he would kill me. That I made his darling sister cry" he says through his dramatic teeth.

"I can feel" I vaguely repeat. "And you did make me cry, but now you don't. Simple as that" I admit to him, carefully admitting it through my walls.

"You're lying" he whispers as my breath catch in my throat, finally seeing his deceit.

"Get out" I manage to whimper through my breathless mumble.

"What?" He ask as I finally grasp my anger, putting it to good use.

"GET OUT!!" I scream at him as he steps back from me. "You're lucky Valerie is engaged to you because of she wasn't I would tell her about this. Every single detail!" I threaten him. Stepping up to him and looking him in his eyes, wondering what I ever saw in them in the first place. "Now! Get out!" I command him as he walks out the storage room door and I can breath again.

But his words pained me. Was I really lying to myself? Was this all pain I was voluntarily putting myself through? Just to feel human again?

The rest of the day was long. It dragged on and on until night fell and I wondered back to me cozy abode. Slamming the door behind me and collapsing onto the sofa as tears slipped from my eyes, before I could even stop myself. Turning on the TV to cover up the silence in my own home, I hated feeling like I was crying alone.

And like the flowers to the sun, a knock fell on my door.

"DAHLIA?" I hear Jack shout from outside my door as I wipe my tears and walk to the door, hoping my swollen eyes wouldn't be a dead giveaway.

"Jack?" I answer as I among open the door as I see him standing on my doorstep, and I do something I thought I'd never do in a million years. As I throw myself into his arms, "I missed you" I whisper in his ear as I can feel the smile burning on his face. "I have something to tell you" I say as I look into his eyes, barely able to hold my tears back. "I'm different now Jack. I can feel now, will you still love me like you used to?" I ask him through my tears stricken curiosity.

"If I could love you when you couldn't feel a dam thing I know I could love you like this" he says as he kisses me. Kisses me like the waves kiss the sand. Trees to the wind. And in that moment I knew that I felt something. I felt something for Jack Rogers. And I didn't want that to go away.

Nothing with the English dictionary could describe what I felt for Jack, it was so perfect yet so intriguing. And I could only hope it would never fade.

    *****************The End*****************