Chapter One: Sophie Pendragon

"Put that fire out! Now, Dragon!" father yelled immediately once he entered the house.

          I ignored the scent of blood on his shirt that filled the air, "No."

          He squinted his eyes at me, "Maybe my ears aren't working but I know damn well you didn't say that."

          Immediately, I put my middle finger and thumb in my mouth and whistled a piercing shriek that I knew only my father and uncle could hear. Father covered his ears and screamed as I backed away towards the flames. Without giving him a chance to recover, I turned into a bat and flew up and out of the chimney to my uncle's manor. I frantically flapped my wings to get to the manor, hoping my uncle would rescue me even though he's never met me. Hearing my father gaining on me from behind, I made the decision to turn back and I gained more momentum as I let gravity pull me in. At the last second, I shifted back into a bat and avoided another attempt of capture from my father as he nearly plummeted into the ground. My uncle ran outside from the front door towards me and I turned back again for him to catch me in his arms.

          "Enough, Dragon!" father bellowed and turned back at the bottom front steps of the manor.

          Pushing my uncle away from me, I turned around and I forced my father to the ground with my powers. He stared at me, completely in shock that I would protect someone I had never met and was taught to hate.

          "After ten years, I finally get to meet my niece," Howl said from behind me.

          He moved to my side and I stared at him in the moonlight. Howl had silver and blonde hair and blueish green eyes. He looked nothing like his twin, Jenkins, my father. Father said nothing but lies about my uncle. I felt Howl's sorrow and loneliness from the alley. Quickly looking around, the front door was closed and we were on the top of the flight of stairs that led out to a fountain in the front yard between here and the front gates. On each side of the stairs were massive rose bushes.

          "Dragon

          "Dragon. Enough," father sneered, despite being held down by my powers.

          "I'll kill you," I hissed once he caught my attention.

          "You'll what?!" he yelled.

          "No," Howl said and gently touched my hand that was glowing green from using my powers.

          "He told me that my siblings were killed by you! That you killed my mother!" I cried out.

          Howl inhaled sharply, "You know the truth?"

          "He killed them! My siblings!" I sobbed, my powers wavering.

          "You killed your own mother!" father yelled and broke free.

          In a swift movement, Howl drew a scythe from the rose bush that grew beside the stairs to the entrance of the mansion. I looked into the eyes of my father as he was beheaded and his body turned to dust. Howl attempted to cover my eyes with his other hand but it was too late. My only regret is that I didn't get to kill him myself.

          "Please, go inside," Howl said softly as he opened the door with his powers

          Turning away from him, I went inside and caught my breath. Did I kill my mother? Were my memories erased? My father is dead now and Howl.. Why did Howl help me? He's never helped me before but he responded to my whistle. Or did he think I was my father? That scythe was made to hunt and kill vampires. How on Earth could Howl wield it? My head pounded from using so much of my powers without any practice. Pressing my hand against my forehead, I tried to slow my racing heart with deep breaths. Howl startled me when he came back in without me hearing him.

          "Are you alright?" he asked gently as he put his arm over my shoulders.

          I jumped and nearly hit him, "I-I'm fine!"

          He looked hurt from my reaction, "Is your name Dragon?"

          I stepped away from his embrace and looked away, "No."

          Scratching his jawline, he sighed, "Were you the one who whistled?"

          I glanced at him and he was looking out the windows, "Yes. Father told me about that when I was younger. You must've thought it was him."

          Looking back at me, he had a handsome and young face, "Despite being a vampire, I won't bite you. Anyone looking at you can tell you've been through a lot. Why don't we sit and talk for a bit? You must have a million questions."

          I was dumbfounded, "I have one important one: why are you trusting me so easily?"

           His eyes were sad and his overwhelming emotion brought me to tears, "You would have been my daughter if it wasn't for Jenkins."