Chapter Twelve: Trouble

In the morning, Susan put my hair in a single braid and we were all eager to have flying class today. We got dressed quickly and headed to the Great Hall for breakfast. Cedric was already there and I took my breakfast to go. Despite Susan and Hannah being happy for me, they did feel a little jealous. Their jealousy wasn't the only one I noticed. When I left the Great Hall with Cedric, Draco and Fred didn't seem to approve. Cedric showed me how to get to the greenhouses for Herbology and which one was going to be for the first years. Then, he showed me where History of Magic would be. He seemed really kind overall and even walked me to the Training Grounds outside of the Great Hall for my flying class. He waved to me before he left and I went to join the other students.

          "Who's that?" Ron asked as I stood between him and Harry.

          "Just a third year Hufflepuff showing me around," I replied shortly.

          Draco was in front of Harry and snorted, "Why not ask me? At least we have classes together."

          "Why would she ask you? You're not in her house," Harry snapped.

          "It's not like she asked you either, Potter," Draco retorted.

          "Perhaps you could show me something on the broom then," I teased Draco.

          He rolled his eyes at me and Ron nudged me, "Fred and George told me they showed you around yesterday. Do you fancy George?"

          I turned red, "F-Fancy George?! I just met them!"

          "She's too good for your family, Weasley," Draco snarled.

          I held Ron back, "I'm not too good for anyone, Draco. Even you."

          Before things could escalate further, Madam Hooch arrived and started class. She had us all stand beside our broom. As we did that, our next step was to put our right hand over our broom and to say 'Up' to summon it. Harry's broom went up to him on the first try and Hermione and I looked at Harry in disbelief. I looked up when I saw Draco's broom go up, also on the first try. He had a smirk on his face and looked right at me. I stuck my tongue out at him and tried repeatedly to summon my broom. Ron kept nagging his broom to go up with increasing anger until his broom smacked him in the face. Harry and I couldn't stop laughing, despite him telling us to shut up. Finally, I summoned my broom up.

          Next, Madam Hooch wanted us to mount our broom, hover for a bit, and then land back down. As we all mounted our broom, I felt immediate panic from Neville and I looked at him as he was rising higher and higher off the ground. He was too high up. His body was in full panic mode and he lost control of his broom and began to fly wildly around. The broom started to violently slide side to side until it started spinning over with Neville holding on for dear life. We all dove to the ground when he darted in our direction. He shot through the covered arch in the castle wall and circled back above the wall where he lost grip of his broom. His robe got caught on the statue at the top of the wall and we gathered at the base. I was getting ready to use my powers when I heard the fibers tearing. The robe tore and he fell to a metal fire torch where his sweater got caught, breaking the momentum of his fall. As he slipped out of his sweater, I used my power to slow his fast fall but he still landed hard, breaking his wrist. Something fell out of his pocket that Draco picked up.

          "If I see a single broom in the air, the one riding it will find themselves out of Hogwarts before they can say 'Quidditch'," Madam Hooch said as she took Neville to the Hospital Wing.

          Draco brought out Neville's remembrall and tossed it in the air while insulting him. Harry stepped forward and demanded it back. Draco refused and stepped on the bristles of his broom and he flew it that way until he mounted it. He noticed my attention and smirked at me.