Chapter Four: Summer 1991

August 18, 1991: Around noon, my alarm clock rang painfully loud for my sensitive ears and I flung it across my room on accident when I hit it from my nightstand. The impact stopped the ringing and I sat up in my bed. Dad and I agreed that I would wake up at noon and sleep at midnight because the doctor said I needed sunlight. Stretching, I thought about the past year with Howl. He's been so loving, gentle, and patient with me. It made me feel warm and fuzzy knowing how much he loved me and how much I love him. Getting dressed for the day, Howl spoiled me with gifts as his only daughter and I had difficulty picking a dress to wear for today. I settled on a black one with white frills that almost resembled a sailor's outfit crossed with a maid's uniform. Sitting at my vanity, I looked at myself in the mirror as I brushed my silver hair. Dad calls me Starlight because of how beautiful it is. I braided it when I was done and buckled my black Mary Jane shoes before going downstairs to the kitchen.

           In the kitchen, I went through the many cook books dad bought for me and I thought about what to make for lunch. Howl hired a witch to babysit me a few months ago and she taught me how to cook. When Howl found out I could cook and bake by myself, he was so proud of me despite not being able to taste what I made. He fired her because he found out she was also teaching me magic to make cooking and baking easier. I promised I wouldn't use magic anymore because I didn't know it could get me into trouble. He was more upset that I was using her wand instead of waiting to get my own wand. I settled on making some fried bacon and eggs in a skillet for lunch. The bacon was thick cut and I got a couple of eggs from the refrigerator. As I let the bacon and eggs fry in the skillet, I sliced myself some bread and plated my lunch.

          While eating my lunch, an owl landed on the patio rail outside. Just by glancing at the envelope in its beak, I knew it was what I've been waiting for all my life. I scarfed down my food quickly and the plate clattered loudly with my fork in the sink when I nearly threw it in. Running outside in the warm sun, I felt myself smiling from ear to ear. When I met the owl, I stroked the owl's chest gently as I took the envelope from its beak. Feeling its emotions, it liked it very much. The envelope was addressed to me with the wax seal of the Hogwarts crest. Unable to contain my excitement, I ran inside after thanking the owl. I stopped outside of dad's door and the image of Jenkins flashed in my mind from last year. Would Howl be upset if I woke him? Hesitantly, I went back to the kitchen and left the letter on the dining table. He wakes up around sunset and I'll still be awake. I went to wash my dishes in the sink and thought about Hogwarts. Mother was in Hufflepuff and I sorely wanted to be in the same house as her.

          While I waited for dad to wake up, I set aside a recipe for dinner that night and began preparing lunch for tomorrow. When I was done, I went into our library and read more books about magic and the history of Hogwarts. No vampire has ever gone to Hogwarts and the only reason why Howl and Jenkins were able to go to Durmstrang is because there was hardly any sun and because the institution was four stories high. They never went outside and their powers allowed them to never get caught. As twins, they had the same powers and abilities. They could control you, invade your mind, and erase memories. I have yet to discover which abilities were still to be awakened in me. The abilities that I had that were unique to only me were the ability to feel what someone was feeling, sense where and how many people are within a mile radius, and to hold down people and restrain them.

          The sound of dad waking up interrupted my thoughts and I eagerly waited for him at the dining table with my unopened envelope. To my surprise, it was already sunset and dad came into the kitchen fully dressed with a mischievous aura. He was hiding something behind his back. His fangs glistened when he smiled at me.

          "Happy birthday, Starlight!" he said happily and gave me a large present with a bright blue bow.

          "Thank you, dad! You didn't have to get me any-" I started to say until the present moved on its own.

          "Murr.." the box said.

          "You better open it now, Starlight," dad said as he stood behind me where I was sitting.

          Cautiously, I untied the bow and lifted the lid off the box. Inside was a beautiful ginger tabby cat with all orange fur with darker orange stripes. Lifting the cat, it was a boy and he was staring into my soul with his red eyes. He reminded me of a fire. After a few moments of sharing our breaths, he accepted me as his owner and curled into a ball onto the table beside my envelope. I stood up to hug my dad.

          "Thank you, dad! I love him! I'm going to name him Calcifer!" I said cheerfully and hugged him tightly.

          "You're so welcome, my Starlight. Oh? What's this?" he picked me up with ease in one arm and picked up the envelope.

          "I got my letter from Hogwarts! An owl delivered it shortly after I woke up and ate lunch. I didn't want to disturb your slumber so I wanted to wait until you were awake to open it with you!" I replied and wrapped my arms around his neck.

          "That's very considerate of you, Sophie. Why don't you open it and read it to me?" he suggested and stroked Calcifer.

          I nodded and opened the envelope to read my letter:

          HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Ms. Pendragon,

          We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 August.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

          HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM

First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.

COURSE BOOKS

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring, if they desire, an owl OR a cat OR a toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICK

Yours sincerely,

Lucinda Thomsonicle-Pocus

Chief Attendant of Witchcraft Provisions

          As I finished reading the letter, I was too intrigued by it that I didn't sense two men at our front door.