Chapter Six: Encounter

As I began to eat dinner, I felt the two men leaving and dad was coming to the kitchen. He seemed a little stressed. Was I going to be a burden to him?

          "Starlight, did you make your shopping list?" dad asked when he joined me in the kitchen.

          "Yes, dad. What's wrong? Will I be troublesome?" I asked anxiously.

          "Not at all, Starlight! You did bring up a good question in the meeting. You see, my contact has been the headmaster. I trust him to look after you. However, it will be inviting trouble here once the public finds out about you. Those among the Death Eaters will know that Jenkins succeeded in making a half vampire," dad said solemnly.

          Dad never liked to call me a halfbreed. I thought about our positions and I already made my decision to go to Hogwarts. There, I can learn so much that could help me protect my dad and myself. Dad and I discussed our plan tomorrow to go to Diagon Alley to get my supplies and he told me stories about Hogwarts that mother had once told him. The stories crept into the wee hours of the night and dad picked me up to carry me to bed. He tucked me in and kissed my forehead.

          "Good night, Sophie. I love you," he whispered from my bedside.

          I rolled over into my pillow, "Night, dad. I love you too."

          The next morning, I took a bath and could hardly contain my excitement.

          "Careful, Calcifer, or you'll fall in," I warned my cat walking along the tub.

          As I predicted, Calcifer slipped and fell into the warm water. To my surprise, he didn't panic and paddled to my knees where he sat. Shaking his fur, I laughed as it flung water everywhere and I carried him out when I was finished. I dried myself off before drying him off and I put my long hair into a single braid. Today's outfit was going to be a simple blue dress. Blue is my favorite color. I laced my brown boots and headed downstairs where dad was waiting for me. He took a couple tablets now that he was exerting more energy to stay up past sunrise to go to Diagon Alley with me. The Daily Prophet was going to be released today about the half vampire attending Hogwarts this year.

          "Do you have your list?" he asked as I took his arm to the fireplace.

          I stuck my hand in my pocket and felt it against my fingertips, "Yes. Do you have your tablets?"

          He felt his chest pocket and I heard it rattle. Dad was wearing black pants with a white top and he was wearing his checkered pink and blue coat over his shirt. For Christmas, I had gotten him a deep blue pendant that was shaped like a teardrop and he never took it off. I learned that his hair and eye color was naturally silver and blonde and blueish green respectively and they changed color based on his dark magic usage. His hair and eyes haven't changed color since last year. Dad stepped into the fireplace with me and we used the Floo network to get to Diagon Alley. As Headmaster Dumbledore said, it was very gloomy and overcast. However, it was also very crowded despite how early it was. Dad and I came up with a plan to divide and conquer. He was going to get my textbooks, trunk, cauldron, phials, telescope, and scales while I got fitted for my robes and when my wand chooses me.