Chapter Twenty Two: Parents

Harry and I eavesdropped on the two professors. Professor Snape was pressuring Professor Quirrell into exposing possible secrets. We thought Professor Quirrell saw us and we silently shuffled backwards when Professor Snape tried to reach out in our direction. Harry and I ran off into an empty room in the same corridor and pulled off the cloak.

          "That was close," I huffed.

          "Look at this, Sophie," Harry said and offered his hand to me.

          I looked up and saw a mirror in the room. I took Harry's hand and felt my heart beat faster. We walked to the mirror and I saw the inscription.

          I read it as I pointed it out, "Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi. I show not your face, but your heart's desire."

          I let go of Harry's hand so that he could stand in the mirror alone. His eyes widened and he looked up.

          "Mom?" he asked and turned his head slightly, "Dad?"

          His happiness was overwhelming me to tears. This meant so much to him. He smiled at me as I wiped my eyes.

          "Are you ok, Sophie?" he asked.

          I nodded, "I can tell how happy you are."

          "You stand in it!" he said and stepped aside for me.

          I stood in the mirror alone and saw Howl with my mother, Sophie. Tears fell from my face and I reached out to touch her. She smiled at me kindly but when I turned around, they weren't there. I sniffled and wiped my face to compose myself.

          "W-We'd better go, Harry. Mr. Filch would have found Professor Snape and Professor Quirrell by now," I said sheepishly.

          Harry looked longingly at the mirror and sort of nodded, "Right. I'll walk you to your common room."

          Harry threw the cloak over us and we walked to my common room. Something was curious about Harry and I made sure we were alone to talk.

          "Hey, Harry?" I whispered as we neared my common room, "Can I ask you something?"

          "Sure, Sophie. What is it?" he whispered back.

          "When I was a bat and licked your thumb, you weren't scared. Why did you ask if I needed to feed?" I said softly and left the cloak.

          Harry made his head visible but shifted around, embarrassed, "Well, I figured it would be alright if you fed on me, right? We're friends after all."

          I smiled and messed with my hair, "True. I would do the same for you, after all. Thanks, Harry, but I still can't bite anyone. I made a promise."

          "Well," he said and looked over his shoulder, "I would rather you bite me than hurt yourself. I know you would do the same for me. I trust you."

          I was overjoyed and had a hard time hiding my smile, "I trust you too, Harry. I'll think about it. Goodnight."

          He smiled before going under his cloak, "Goodnight, Sophie."

          I smiled and happily fell onto the couch. He trusts me. I fell asleep holding Calcifer and woke up to an elf taking care of the Christmas tree. I didn't want to disrupt his work and went to the dorm rooms to change. The students would be returning in less than a week but I was starting to feel lonely. Was dad lonely this year? In the Great Hall, Harry and I told Ron about what happened last night and we were discouraged about learning anything regarding Nicolas Flamel. The following morning, Harry told us that Headmaster Dumbledore found him with the Mirror of Erised and told Harry that the mirror was going to be moved. He also asked that we not go looking for it again. Feeling even more discouraged, we focused our time on school and watched Harry practice Quidditch with the twins.