Chapter Three: Howl Pendragon

"Are you hungry, Sophie?" Howl asked after our hours of talking.

          "Not for blood. I fed today but I still eat like a human," I replied sheepishly.

          "Ah, I'm afraid I don't have food. It's rather late but I think there's a pub here still open. Humans sure are interesting with their lifestyles," he said.

          "I'm sorry for being a trouble, Howl," I said.

          "Not at all. Would you like to come with me? I don't want to leave you here alone," he said.

          "Can I? Father would usually leave me somewhere once I helped him find someone to feed on," I said.

          "For the next year, it would appear that there are quite a few things I have to teach you. That isn't normal, even for vampires, let alone a parent and child relationship," he said angrily.

          "I promise I won't break any rules," I said, panicked.

          "What do you mean, Sophie?" Howl asked worriedly.

          I explained further to Howl how my father had many rules and how I was punished. When I told Howl about my first feeding, he was furious how it happened and ended. It was embarrassing to tell him how father and I had to share a bed because father was worried I might disappear one day. He never cared much for me and even I noticed that I was rather thin. Howl promised that he would raise me properly as if I was his own daughter. I could tell he still loved my mother and he already began to love me as her daughter. Being around him felt so different from how I lived with my father. I began to cry and held my uncle. I wanted the memory of my father to be just a bad dream.

          For the next year, Howl raised me as his own. Now that Howl and I were the last of the Pendragon vampires, he taught me everything about our family and I knew every word was the truth. Howl showed me our family tree in the Pendragon Manor and I looked at many pictures of my mother. I looked just like her. To my own surprise, Howl and Jenkins attended Durmstrang and my mother attended Hogwarts. Durmstrang was located in western Russia where there isn't a lot of sun and Howl and Jenkins were able to hide away there. It took some months but I can finally call Howl my dad and I stopped referring to Jenkins as father. Dad told me that an old Death Eater was the headmaster of Durmstrang now and he was troubled why Jenkins was going to send me there once I was of age. I told dad everything about the Death Eaters and who was still around looking for You-Know-Who. Dad told me not to call him the Dark Lord anymore and to not say his name. With my help in secret, Dad sent many letters to a contact and many more people were being found and put in trial. I read all about it in the Daily Prophet. Dad said I was helping save lives and serving justice to those who evaded capture. Dad was pardoned from killing Jenkins and was granted full custody of me. The weapon he used was inherited by the first born, which was Howl. The scythe is named Artemis and was meant to kill vampires. One day, it might be passed down to me.

          During the first couple months with Howl, he was always with me when we went out during cloudy or rainy days. He taught me many new things and that we were supposed to respect humans as we were all equal to each other. Jenkins told me to pity them and feed on them. Howl has done so much for me. He inherited more money than he ever needed and was happy that he could provide for me. I could tell he was proud to be my dad now and made sure I was being properly taken care of. We would go shopping for groceries because I needed to eat human food, but I had no hunger for blood like Howl. Howl made sure I saw two doctors and a special dentist to look after my vampire and human needs. I was badly underweight when I first came to Howl but he nursed me to full health. Accomodations were made to our manor and it felt like a real home now. The first two weeks I spent the days with Howl in his bed because I wasn't used to sleeping by myself. Fast forward to a year later, I have my own room and I have learned so much from Howl about vampires, magic, muggles, and our family. I owe everything to my dad now and I love him very much.