Chapter Two: Jenkins Pendragon

"What?" I asked, my jaw dropped.

          "Come, miss?" he invited me over with an open hand.

          "Sophie. Sophie Pendragon," I said softly and took his hand.

          Howl froze and a flicker of anger flashed in his eyes, "Son of a bitch."

          I flinched and pulled my hand away from his

          I flinched and pulled my hand away from his. He fell to his knees and held himself by his upper arms. The fire in his fireplace turned green and shadows began to emerge from the cracks in the walls. These were dark spirits and Howl was summoning them. His emotions of grief and distraught were unlike anything else I had ever felt before. I knew I had to stop him, but how? I kneeled in front of him and put my hand on his shoulder. He looked at me and I gasped at his appearance. The silver blonde hair turned bluish black from the roots to the tips of his hair and his eyes glowed red like mine.

          "Howl?" I asked, frightened.

          In an instant, he snapped out of it, yet his hair and eyes remained this new color. The manor went back to normal and he was feeling worried and embarrassed.

          "Forgive me, Sophie." he said and, for the first time, I was hugged.

          I froze, unsure what to do, "Howl? What are you doing?"

          He let me go but his hands cupped my face, "Have you not been hugged before?"

          I shook my head and he was overwhelmed at my lack of parental care. Giving him permission, I allowed him into my mind and he saw everything that I was exposed to and how I was raised for the past ten years. It enraged him into fury that I have only seen in my father before.

          "How could he have treated you like that? His own daughter! After everything he's done to his own family! If you were raised by me-" Howl paced angrily and loudly in the living room.

           I watched him from the couch and interrupted him, "Will you raise me now?"

          He stopped and stared at me, "Do you wish to live with me?"

          I smiled awkwardly, something I wasn't used to doing, "You're my uncle and the only family I have left, right?"

          He smiled and hugged me again, "I've always wanted a daughter!"

          I tried to hug him, "Howl, will you tell me the truth about my father?"

          He sat beside me on the couch, "You've seen so much that you shouldn't have. I'll tell you, Sophie."

          For the next few hours, I learned everything about the monster that I called father. Jenkins was enamored with Sophie, my mother, but she and Howl fell in love. Before they were married, Jenkins fed on her and took her as his victim. Every vampire has an affinity to a type of blood. Father's affinity was for loyalty. My blood affinity is for misery and unhappiness. Howl said his affinity was for liars and dishonesty. Father read that a half vampire was extremely rare and powerful. They could walk among others in the sunlight and still function as a vampire. He used Sophie to birth his children, hoping that he could breed a halfling. When each one failed, he killed them. After six failed attempts, he finally had me and I learned that my mother died from childbirth. Despite that, he didn't mourn or care about her death. All he wanted was for me to serve the Dark Lord in the daylight while he served the Dark Lord in the night. My rage was indescribable to convey into words.