Chapter Seventeen: October

In the middle of October, Harry, Ron and I went to Hagrid's hut on the weekend. I was ready to tell them what happened.

          "Harry, when I first met you, you triggered my affinity. I'm drawn to people who are unhappy. I mean, absolutely miserable. After we first met, you weren't unhappy anymore. That's why I'm okay around you. Susan was unhappy a couple weeks ago and I had to run. I forgot my tablets in my other uniform and I hid in the girl's lavatory. But.." I trailed off as I felt them getting worried.

          "But?" Hagrid asked, who was mostly concerned as a staff member at the school.

          "Someone who was unhappy came to look for me but I told them to leave me alone. I almost fed on them but I swear I didn't! I ran to the clocktower," I said, growing anxious.

          "Why the clocktower? You're so sensitive to sound," Ron asked, worried.

          "That's why. I went at the hour and knocked myself out. Madam Pomfrey found me and I was taken to the Hospital Wing," I said softly.

          "That's why you weren't in class that day," Harry said softly.

          "Sophie, are yer sure yer want to stay?" Hagrid asked calmly.

          "I am. I didn't want to hide anything from you all. You've all become my closest friends," I said, almost crying.

          "I believe her," Ron stated and hugged me.

          "Have yer been under control since?" Hagrid asked and poured me more tea.

          "I have," I said, a little proud of myself.

          "You were bleeding though. Why?" Harry asked and hugged me after Ron.

          "I'm a blood giver. If I can't feed, I can't give blood either. It's like a blood transfusion. I take away your misery and my blood replenishes you. It doesn't last forever. The effects linger. If I can't feed, my blood overflows like a bad nosebleed. Please keep my secret," I pleaded.

           Harry and Ron immediately agreed and Hagrid was a bit skeptical about it. However, he eventually came around and he felt almost like a father figure to us. I really enjoyed being friends with them. We said goodbye to Hagrid and Fang and made our way back to the castle. School was starting to sink in and I began experiencing some changes in my powers. For the most part, I could control objects and living things, including plants. As far as people are concerned, I could slow their motions and restrain them. Using my powers made me tired and I had to take more tablets afterwards. During the last week of October, it was getting colder with the approach of winter.

          "Are you ready for your first match next month?" I asked Harry on our way to class.

          "I am. Will you be going to watch?" he asked.

          "Of course! I have to cheer for you," I replied.

          "Oh? Only for Harry?" Fred asked from behind us.

          "For you and George, too," I said and stuck my tongue out at him.

          He and George laughed as they went to their class next to ours. Ron and I sat across from each other in our classroom. I said hello to Seamus and Dean as well. Draco was sitting above them but he didn't look at me. He was starting to feel less fearful around me but that's all he felt for me. Not that I cared. In class, Professor Flitwick was teaching us levitation and in front of us were our feathers to practice on. The spell was 'Wingardium Leviosa' and we were left to the task. Ron's first attempt was hilarious and he was constantly whipping his wand at the feather.