Chapter Twenty Six: Tests

I woke up the next morning in the infirmary where Draco was sitting next to me. He closed his journal and I knew he was angry with me. His hand was bandaged as well.

          "What the bloody hell were you thinking?" he asked angrily.

          I sat up and held myself, "I-I'm sorry. I didn't want you to get hurt. Please don't be mad."

          He sighed loudly and touched my hand to pull it away from my upper arm, "Sophie, I was worried about you. You acted crazy around the unicorn blood. I didn't want to leave you behind."

          I held his hand shyly, "What happened?"

          He turned pink and stared at my hand in his, "Some centaur rescued you and Potter."

          I nodded and rubbed my thumb against his, "Thank you for snapping me out of it. I'm sorry you got hurt."

          "It was that bloody dog's fault. Potter should be grateful to you. He said you were using your powers," he snapped.

          I smiled a little, "I'm grateful you're here."

          He took his hand from mine to cover his red face, "You better be, vampire. I went out of my way to see you. Get up. We have to study."

          I laughed a little at his embarrassment and went to the library to study with him. When we had taken our last exam, something clicked in my head and I ran to Harry, Hermione, and Ron at their table in the Great Hall.

          "Harry," I said quickly, "did you say that Hagrid always wanted a dragon?"

          Harry looked up and I saw a lightbulb go off in his eyes, "I did. You're brilliant, Sophie."

          I blushed and we ran ahead of Hermione and Ron to Hagrid's hut. He was outside playing a flute with Fang laying at his feet. We explained to Ron and Hermione that it was too much of a coincidence that Hagrid gets something that he's always wanted from a stranger. When we confronted Hagrid, he didn't get a look at the stranger but the stranger was very interested in Fluffy. Although the stranger was concerned about Hagrid caring for a dragon, Hagrid assured the stranger that all you have to do is to learn how to calm it. For example, Hagrid said that if you play music for Fluffy, he'll fall straight asleep. Hagrid instantly regretted telling us that but all four of us ran to Professor McGonagall's office.

          "We have to talk to Professor Dumbledore!" I yelled as we ran in.

          "Immediately!" Hermione yelled after me.

          "He's away for official business in London," she said, startled at our sudden intrusion.

          "It's about the sorcerer's stone!" Ron pleaded.

          "We think someone is going to steal it!" Harry said, exasperated.

          Professor McGonagall's face turned serious and she was concerned how we knew about it, "I assure you that the stone is safe. Now, all of you, return to your common rooms, quietly."

          We sighed in disbelief and gathered in the massive staircase to look at the corridor that led to the stone.

          "Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Harry?" I asked while looking at the corridor.

          He nodded and looked at the corridor too, "We're going to steal the stone ourselves. Tonight."

          We planned to meet in the Gryffindor common room. After dinner, I was going to turn into a bat and Ron was going to carry me inside where I would hide in the curtains until it was time. During dinner, I ate a handful of tablets and I left the Great Hall to wait in the hallway for Ron. When I saw Ron coming, I waited until no one was around to turn into a bat. Ron saw me on the wall and I climbed into his robe pocket. Harry and Hermione saw me and we all went into the Gryffindor common room. Ron left me in the curtains near a table and a couple of armchairs and I hung there while everyone was coming in. To my surprise, the twins saw me and stayed with me to make sure no one else found me.