vii. the astronomy tower

Tonight was the night. 

Draco was going to use the vanishing cabinet to bring in death eaters. While Amara had been spending time with Harry, Draco had discovered a matching cabinet. There was one in Borgin & Burke and one in the room of requirement.

Tonight is the night.

The sky had darkened, as did Amara's soul that night. She could not let Harry know about her task, nor could she let Harry know about Draco's task. The guilt she had been feeling this whole year had come to a boiling point. She knew she would have to fight.

"Go to your houses. No dawdling!" Professor McGonagall had shouted in the courtyard, as a loud crack of thunder rang out from the sky. 

Draco and Amara ran to the room of requirement, a room that held many memories for Amara. She bit her tongue in hopes of saving herself some tears, and luckily it worked. While she gathered her thoughts, Draco began to uncover the cabinet.

"Is this it?" Amara asked, her arms wrapped around herself protectively. The room was cold, but she didn't know what was colder; her or the room. She shook the thought from her head and watched the cabinet creak open.

Amara knew that Harry was with Dumbledore, she knew that because Harry had told her that he had been having private lessons with the old wizard for nearly the entire year. Though she didn't know why, she did have a sneaking suspicion that it had something to do with Voldemort.

"Of course it is." Draco spoke, as he watched the cabinet open slowly. Black smoke emitted from the cabinet and out came four death eaters, including Bellatrix Lestrange and Fernin Greyback. Draco turned to leave the room, as did Amara, her thoughts only on Harry Potter.

~X~

The group of death eaters had split up, leaving Amara alone to wander the halls. She made her way up to the Astronomy Tower. She didn't know what she'd find, but she didn't expect it to be Harry Potter.

"Harry?" Amara spoke in a low whisper, scared to speak too loudly. Harry snapped his head in her direction as she looked to see what he had been looking at. 

"Amara?" Harry questioned the young girl, "What are you doing here?" Amara hugged the boy, and watched his face turned towards her. She smiled.

"I was worried about you," She explained, lowering her voice even more, "I couldn't find you." She had hoped he wouldn't see through the lie. 

A part of her wanted to tell him the truth about everything, but she know she couldn't because Voldemort would kill her. In truth, she did love Harry James Potter. She was tired of doing Voldemort's bidding, but because of her name, her blood, and that dark mark on her arm, she knew she could never and would never be accepted by Harry. He was far too good for her.

"Sorry, I was with Professor Dumbledore." Harry explained, watching Amara as she clearly slipped into her own thoughts. Harry touched her face, and she smiled at him again. He wondered what she was thinking about, but he didn't have time to ask.

"Yeah," Amara laughed quietly, "I can see that."

As Draco reached the top of the tower, Amara and Harry watched as he spoke with Dumbledore, with his wand raised. Amara gulped, and exchanged a look of terror with Harry. They knew they would have to be quiet.

"Good evening, Draco," Dumbledore spoke softly, his arms behind his back, "What brings you here on this fine spring evening?" Harry stood with his mouth agape. He wasn't sure what to do.

"Who else is here? I heard you talking." Draco's voice became louder, and Amara took a deep breath. She hoped that her brother would make the right choice, and let someone else do it.

"I often talk aloud to myself. I find it extraordinarily useful." Dumbledore said, looking down at Amara and Harry secretly, "Have you been whispering to yourself, Draco? Draco, you are no assassin." 

Harry gulped, holding onto Amara's hand tightly. If she wasn't so stressed, she probably would have kissed him.

"How do you know what I am? I've done things that would shock you." Draco shouted, his wand still pointing directly at Dumbledore. Harry's breathing became more erratic as the scene continued.

"Like cursing Katie Bell and hoping that in return she'd bear a cursed necklace to me? Replacing a bottle of mead with one laced with poison? Forgive me, Draco. I cannot help feeling these actions are so weak, your heart can't really have been in them." Dumbledore spoke to Draco, but it was clear that Draco did not want to hear what he had to say. 

Harry looked at Amara again, and tried to see if she knew anything. He didn't see anything but worry and anxiety, for which he understood why. This was her brother.

"He trusts me. I was chosen." Draco spat, lifting his sleeve and flashing his dark mark. Amara gasped silently, and Harry looked at her. Had she really not known about this?

"Then I shall make it easy for you." Dumbledore spoke, lifting his wand. Draco sucked in a quick breath and disarmed the old wizard. Amara was shocked at how quickly he was able to do that, and apparently so was Dumbledore.

"Very good," Dumbledore said as a door was heard being opened, "You're not alone. There are others. How?" Dumbledore inquired, quite astonished. Draco was quick to explain his plan.

Harry began to move Amara's body behind his. If anything else would happen, he didn't want anything to happen to her.

"Draco, years ago I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices. Please let me help you." Dumbledore was pleading, but Draco continued down his path. Amara swallowed, knowing what was coming next.

"I don't want your help! Don't you understand? I have to do this." Draco spoke, his voice beginning to crack, "I have to kill you or he's gonna kill me." Amara's mouth opened, and Harry put his hand gently over her mouth as she let out a quiet sob. Harry felt bad for the girl, knowing this must be difficult watching a brother become so evil.

The death eaters made their way to the top of the tower, threatening Dumbledore. They seemed to smile at the situation and stand behind Draco.

"Well done, Draco." Bellatrix whispered into Draco's ear, making Amara shiver. Harry tensed up at the mere sight of the woman, for she had killed his godfather.

"Good evening, Bellatrix. I think introductions are in order, don't you?" Dumbledore asked, trying to be as polite as possible. But it seemed his plan to 'kill them with kindness' wasn't going to work.

"Would love to, Albus, but I'm afriad we're all on a bit of a tight schedule," Bellatrix spoke to old wizard before turning to Draco, "Do it." Her words seemed to wake Draco up from his state of shock.

"He doesn't have the stomach, just like his father. Let me finish him in my own way." Greyback spoke, preparing to attack Dumbledore. Bellatrix was quick to stop him.

"No! The Dark Lord was clear, the boy is to do it," Bellatrix spoke, as Harry turned around, "This is your moment. Do it." Amara turned around with Harry, revealing Professor Snape.

Snape hushed the pair, as he made his way up to the top of the astronomy tower. Amara clung to Harry and Harry hugged the girl as tightly as he could. 

"No." Snape spoke, as Harry and Amara watched from below.

"Severus, please." Dumbledore begged, but it was not enough. Snape had raised his wand at the man.

"Avada kedavra." Snape spoke as green light was emitted from his wand. With that, Dumbledore fell from the astronomy tower. Amara's knees buckled beneath her and Harry held her up. His hand went over her mouth again, in fear of them being seen.

"He's gone."