ix. the next step

Snape entered the room, watching as death eaters sat at the table within Malfoy Manor. His eyes quickly found the woman floating above the table.

"Severus. I was beginning to worry you had lost your way. Come, we've saved you a seat," Voldemort spoke, as Snape made his way to the table, "You bring news, I trust?"

"It will happen Saturday next, at nightfall." Snape spoke, looking at Voldemort. Draco kept his eyes on his lap.

"I've heard differently, my Lord," Yaxley spoke, interrupting Snape, "Dawlish, the Auror, has let slip that the Potter boy will not be moved until the 30th of this month. The day before he turns seventeen." Amara gulped as she watched the encounter unfold before her.

"This is a false trail. The Auror Office no longer plays any part in the protection of Harry Potter. Those closest to him believe we have infiltrated the Ministry." Snape explained, as the death eaters nodded.

"Well, they got that right, haven't they?" One of the death eaters laughed, making the rest of them laugh along with them. Amara faked laughed the best she could.

"What say you, Pius?" Voldemort looks to the man across the table. He seemed to be very uncomfortable.

"One hears many things, my Lord. Whether the truth is among them is not clear." The man explained, but didn't really answer the question at all. Amara took a deep breath, expecting the very worst.

"Spoken like a true politician. You will, I think, prove most useful, Pius." Voldemort smiled, and then turned to Snape again.

"Where will he be taken, the boy?" Voldemort asked, looking more serious now. Amara looked at Snape, hoping that he would secretly be helping the young boy, the boy she had grown to care so much for.

"To a safe house. Most likely the home of someone in the Order. I'm told it's been given every manner of protection possible. Once there, it will impractical to attack him." Snape explained, and Voldemort nodded. Amara listened closely, not knowing what would be the plan.

"My Lord," Bellatrix spoke, "I'd like to volunteer myself for this task. I want to kill the boy." Voldemort looked at Bellatrix with a smile.

"As inspiring as I find your bloodlust, Bellatrix, I must be the one to kill Harry Potter," The Dark Lord explained as he stood up, "but I face an unfortunate complication. That my wand and Potter's wand share the same core. They are, in some ways, twins. We can wound, but not fatally harm one another. If I am to kill him I must do it with another's wand."

The Dark Lord paced around the table, looking as everyone put their heads down. No one seemed to volunteer for the task at hand.

"What about you, Lucius?" The Dark Lord leaned over hi shoulder, beckoning for his wand. Draco looked at Amara, but she could not speak. Instead, her eyes told Draco everything he needed to know. Just pretend like everything is fine.

"I require your wand." The Dark Lord's voice was stern, leaving no room for interruptions. Lucius had no choice but to oblige.

"Do I detect elm?" He spoke, inspecting the wand, "And the core is dragon heartstring." The Dark Lord broke the wand and threw it on the table harshly. Lucius flinched for a moment, and then tried to act like it didn't happen.

"To those of you who do not know, we are joined tonight by Miss Charity Burbage, who until recently, taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Her specialty was Muggle Studies," Lord Voldemort spoke, as everyone seemed to laugh, "It is Miss Burbage's belief that muggles are not so different from us. She would, given her way, have us mate with them. To her, the mixture of magical and muggle blood is not an abomination, but something to be encouraged."

"Severus," the woman spoke, "Severus, please. We're friends." The woman begged as a tear slipped from her cheek and onto the table. Severus did not change at all, but Draco shifted in his seat uncomfortably. With that, Voldemort then killed the woman.

"Amara," Voldemort turned his attention to the young Malfoy girl, "what is your progress on the boy? Has he fallen for you?" Snape turned his head to look at her, and she saw nothing behind his eyes.

"Yes, my Lord, I believe he has," Amara spoke, looking at the Dark Lord intently, "He told me he loved me." Amara pushed out. Her heart skipped a beat as she realized what she had said. The truth is that she too loved the boy, but she could not tell this man that information. It was far too dangerous.

"Good," Voldemort spoke, "you will go to this safe house and be there when the boy and the Order get there. I believe you know what comes next." He smiled, and Amara pretended to smirk. Deep down, she felt a pang of sadness rip through her entire body.

"Yes, I do."