iv. hogsmeade

"I forgot how much I love going to Hogsmeade." Amara spoke softly, feeling bits of snow fall onto her nose. Her arms were intertwined with Harry's as they walked through the quaint little village.

She looked around Hogsmeade, seeing people going in and out of the pubs and shacks. It was almost that special time of year again. Amara grinned, looking up at Harry who had been watching the girl the entire time. 

"Me too. I haven't been in a while and now I have the best date." Harry gripped her hand a bit tighter and pulled Amara closer under his arm. Amara looked up to him and saw the smile spread across his face, making her nearly swoon. Even though she knew this was her task, she still got butterflies every time she saw him smile. That much, was real.

"You're too sweet." Amara said, waiting for him to smile again, and he did. Feeling like she had won the lottery, the two spotted the Three Broomsticks. At the same time, Harry and Amara looked at each other.

"How about a butterbeer?"

~X~

"Do you have a habit of staring at other people?" Harry asked, putting his hand under his chin. His eyes latched onto Amara's, and refused to let go. Her breath hitched in her throat. 

What was happening to her? She was lucky the entire bar was empty.

"Not usually." She said, anxiously brushing her hair behind her ear. Harry smiled, knowing exactly how he was affecting the young girl. She had wondered where his sudden boost in confidence came from, not that she minded it. He scooted a bit closer to her, so she could feel his breath on her cheek. The warmth of the pub and the butterbeer had warmed her up, but not as much as Harry did.

"Hmm, so I assume I'm the first." Harry smiled. 

"You'd be assuming correctly." Amara smiled, speaking softly. She tried to focus her attention on the butterbeer in her hand, but Harry's eyes never left her. The butterflies in her stomach seemed to have intensified.

"You're something else, Malfoy." Harry grinned and left her completely and utterly dazzled.

"Maybe I like being a little not normal." Amara smirked, placing her hand on top of his. Amara watched as Harry sucked in a quick breath, taken aback by her sudden change in behavior. Harry placed a gentle hand on her leg, making Amara fidget a little. He smiled again as he saw the reaction. 

"Maybe I do too." Harry spoke, as Amara bit her lip. He pulled her closer to him, as she could feel his breath down her neck. She felt her heart rate begin to quicken, as she brought her hands up to his face, knowing exactly what was going to happen.

"You are the only one keeping me sane, you know that Amara?" Harry spoke as he leaned down, his gaze flashing between her eyes and her lips. Amara pulled him closer, as he placed his lips against hers. 

All of a sudden, nothing else seemed to matter to her. Nothing at all, except for him.

Amara's fingers found their way to his dark brown hair, and his hands wandered to her lower back and her waist. She could feel herself getting lighter and losing air, but as everything was happening, she couldn't find it in herself to care.

Twinges of guilt filled her mind as Harry pulled away from her with a smile. How long could she do this to him? Had she actually begun to care for the boy like this?

~X~

As the two left the little pub, they found themselves stumbling on back to the castle. Their meeting at the empty pub was quite euphoric, both of them still giddy from the interaction. As they did so, they saw something neither of them had expected to see.

"I warned her. I warned her not to touch it!" The girl spoke, as Katie Bell began to fly across the snow and up into the air. Amara gripped onto Harry, watching in fear as the girl seemed to be screaming.

All of a sudden, she fell. Amara gasped, attempting to walk towards Katie. She was stopped dead in her tracks when she heard Hagrid had come from the woods.

"Don't get any closer," Hagrid spoke, walking over to the cursed girl, "Do not touch that, except for the wrappings." Harry had gotten far too close to the necklace, and Amara had pulled him back. 

Who would have done such a thing?

"Let's get back to the castle."

~X~

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Amara, and Katie Bell's friends stood in front of Professor McGonagall and Professor Snape. The two professors were investigating the incident, and trying to figure out who cursed Katie Bell and why.

"You're sure Katie did not have this in her possession when she entered the Three Broomsticks?" Professor McGonagall questioned the girl, but she shook her head.

"It's like I said. She left to go to the loo, and when she came back she had the package. She said it was important that she deliver it." The girl explained, and Amara listened. She didn't know who had cursed the girl, but she figured she'd want to know.

"Did she say to whom?" Professor McGonagall asked. 

"To Professor Dumbledore." The girl answered. Amara's heart stopped. She knew who did this. This was Draco.

Harry looked at Amara, who had gone completely pale. His hand found hers, but she did not acknowledge it. Harry immediately knew something was wrong. Deep down, he already knew.

"Miss Malfoy? Are you alright?" Professor Snape had noticed the shade of her skin grow paler by the second. Harry sent worried glances to both of the professors. They all looked very concerned, but not understanding the reason behind her sudden change in emotion. Though she knew that Snape had known the reason behind it.

"I..." Amara began, but her mouth grew dry, "I don't feel too good." Amara spoke, as she felt her knees give out. Amara's eyes rolled back into her head and she collapsed into the warm arms of one Harry Potter.